AMG C36 pointers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobby_singh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS
Hi all,

Im new on this forum so a big hello to everyone :)

I currently looking to buy a C36 AMG and was wondering if anyone would be able to give me pointers, any commom problems, specs, what to look out for etc

Thanks in advance :D
Bobby

bazza

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2006 S211 280CDi & BMW E86
BRAKES!!!

VERY expensive for disks and pads,something stupid like £1,500 for a set

Bazza

sgregory124

Reaction score
Bobby_singh said:
Hi all,

Im new on this forum so a big hello to everyone :)

I currently looking to buy a C36 AMG and was wondering if anyone would be able to give me pointers, any commom problems, specs, what to look out for etc

Thanks in advance :D
Bobby

Welcome!

Ok, I can give you the little bits of info i've gleaned so far. I have owned my C36 for 16 months and have had the following things done:

New rear discs and pads - £750 (Dealer)
New front pads - £45 (Independant)
Changed gearbox oil - £145 (Independant)

4 wheel alignment - £450 (Independant, due to minor accident)
1 pair of front tyres - £260 (about 18-20k wear)
2 pairs of rear tyres - £600 (about 10k wear out of each)

Front lower balljoints - £170 (Independant)
Front outer anti roll bushes - £45 (Independant)

3 (or maybe 4) services - £1500 (estimated) (£500 on one service at dealer)

Fuel economy shocked me to begin with, but now i'm used to circa 20 mpg :shock: . Although it really all goes out of the window when you depress the loud pedal :D

Spec-wise I have one of the lower specced models (although I do have A/C which I can't live without), which is ok with me, it means less to go wrong and a little bit of weight saved :wink: However, traction control would have been useful :)

Anyway, hopefully that will give you a clue as to what to expect if you do buy a C36 (and I can heartily recommend it!).

colinlowe

Reaction score
c36 ownership

Hi bobby, i owned c36 for 2 years, with the following:
07 1997 model: air/traction/twin electric front seats, 5 speed auto, abs etc
and over 32 k had the following:
3 sets of front discs and pads
2 sets of rear discs and pads
1 air mass meter
1 rear diff assembly
2 sets of front tyres and 3 sets of rear tyres.
I replaced all the brakes myself everything else was dealer, i did drive the car very hard, which probly explains brakes and diff problems.#
Excellent car probably the last of mercs decent build quality, the only thing i could moan about, is the fact it was crying out to be manual. but i could not find a good example.
Good Luck.

angus falconer

Reaction score
I bought a March 200 C43 in July 2003 on just over 40,000 miles. I think a lot of the running costs are similar.

I bought a set of tyres fairly early on - Contis/£500-ish

I had a B service at 43,000 miles was for £1250. Not all the work was mandatory (this element was about £700) but I wanted to get the car 100% fresh mechanically.

Optional work; £100 for 4 wheel alignment, £160 for new ball joints and wishbone bushes/c£250 for the associated labour (my guess as I can't remember the actual breakdown), £35 for gearbox oil.

In total I spent £1800 in my first year of ownership of the car on consumables

In the second year I had a set of new discs and pads for around £800 fitted in September.

Now it's on 50,000 miles with eveything tip top. Will have a minor service in a month or two (mainly for the oil change).

By the way the service carried out by George Fraser of West London - highly recomended. George himself called me twice, once before and once during the work and insisted on putting it up on a ramp afterwards to show me what had been done after. Great service.

OP
B

Bobby_singh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS
Hey Guys thanks for the detailed info :D :D

Im def gona get a C36 I went for a spin in my mates one..now for my next question who wants to sell me one??

Do u think I could get a nice example for around £8,500??

Btw Im near the Heathrow area.

Cheers
Bobby

sgregory124

Reaction score
Bobby_singh said:
Hey Guys thanks for the detailed info :D :D

Im def gona get a C36 I went for a spin in my mates one..now for my next question who wants to sell me one??

Do u think I could get a nice example for around £8,500??

Btw Im near the Heathrow area.

Cheers
Bobby

That might be tough, I bought mine last year with 55,000 miles for £12,000, but I saw one a few days ago for the same price wih 75,000 miles...

If you're willing to do some in-depth searching and are prepared to have a car with a few more miles then i'm sure you'll get one for £8500....

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom