AMG C36 pointers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobby_singh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS
Hi all,

Im new on this forum so a big hello to everyone :)

I currently looking to buy a C36 AMG and was wondering if anyone would be able to give me pointers, any commom problems, specs, what to look out for etc

Thanks in advance :D
Bobby

bazza

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2006 S211 280CDi & BMW E86
BRAKES!!!

VERY expensive for disks and pads,something stupid like £1,500 for a set

Bazza

sgregory124

Reaction score
Bobby_singh said:
Hi all,

Im new on this forum so a big hello to everyone :)

I currently looking to buy a C36 AMG and was wondering if anyone would be able to give me pointers, any commom problems, specs, what to look out for etc

Thanks in advance :D
Bobby

Welcome!

Ok, I can give you the little bits of info i've gleaned so far. I have owned my C36 for 16 months and have had the following things done:

New rear discs and pads - £750 (Dealer)
New front pads - £45 (Independant)
Changed gearbox oil - £145 (Independant)

4 wheel alignment - £450 (Independant, due to minor accident)
1 pair of front tyres - £260 (about 18-20k wear)
2 pairs of rear tyres - £600 (about 10k wear out of each)

Front lower balljoints - £170 (Independant)
Front outer anti roll bushes - £45 (Independant)

3 (or maybe 4) services - £1500 (estimated) (£500 on one service at dealer)

Fuel economy shocked me to begin with, but now i'm used to circa 20 mpg :shock: . Although it really all goes out of the window when you depress the loud pedal :D

Spec-wise I have one of the lower specced models (although I do have A/C which I can't live without), which is ok with me, it means less to go wrong and a little bit of weight saved :wink: However, traction control would have been useful :)

Anyway, hopefully that will give you a clue as to what to expect if you do buy a C36 (and I can heartily recommend it!).

colinlowe

Reaction score
c36 ownership

Hi bobby, i owned c36 for 2 years, with the following:
07 1997 model: air/traction/twin electric front seats, 5 speed auto, abs etc
and over 32 k had the following:
3 sets of front discs and pads
2 sets of rear discs and pads
1 air mass meter
1 rear diff assembly
2 sets of front tyres and 3 sets of rear tyres.
I replaced all the brakes myself everything else was dealer, i did drive the car very hard, which probly explains brakes and diff problems.#
Excellent car probably the last of mercs decent build quality, the only thing i could moan about, is the fact it was crying out to be manual. but i could not find a good example.
Good Luck.

angus falconer

Reaction score
I bought a March 200 C43 in July 2003 on just over 40,000 miles. I think a lot of the running costs are similar.

I bought a set of tyres fairly early on - Contis/£500-ish

I had a B service at 43,000 miles was for £1250. Not all the work was mandatory (this element was about £700) but I wanted to get the car 100% fresh mechanically.

Optional work; £100 for 4 wheel alignment, £160 for new ball joints and wishbone bushes/c£250 for the associated labour (my guess as I can't remember the actual breakdown), £35 for gearbox oil.

In total I spent £1800 in my first year of ownership of the car on consumables

In the second year I had a set of new discs and pads for around £800 fitted in September.

Now it's on 50,000 miles with eveything tip top. Will have a minor service in a month or two (mainly for the oil change).

By the way the service carried out by George Fraser of West London - highly recomended. George himself called me twice, once before and once during the work and insisted on putting it up on a ramp afterwards to show me what had been done after. Great service.

OP
B

Bobby_singh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS
Hey Guys thanks for the detailed info :D :D

Im def gona get a C36 I went for a spin in my mates one..now for my next question who wants to sell me one??

Do u think I could get a nice example for around £8,500??

Btw Im near the Heathrow area.

Cheers
Bobby

sgregory124

Reaction score
Bobby_singh said:
Hey Guys thanks for the detailed info :D :D

Im def gona get a C36 I went for a spin in my mates one..now for my next question who wants to sell me one??

Do u think I could get a nice example for around £8,500??

Btw Im near the Heathrow area.

Cheers
Bobby

That might be tough, I bought mine last year with 55,000 miles for £12,000, but I saw one a few days ago for the same price wih 75,000 miles...

If you're willing to do some in-depth searching and are prepared to have a car with a few more miles then i'm sure you'll get one for £8500....

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom