1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An alarming number of cases of illegal car entry in small neighbourhood!

Discussion in 'Motoring Related Discussion' started by Conor, May 21, 2020.

1. rorywquin

rorywquin Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    SL400
    Post code is one of the biggest factors....

2. OP
    Conor

Conor Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
    The black box of insurance strikes again.

3. Blobcat

Blobcat Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    R171 SLK280 3.0, Land Rover 110 County SW
    More claims for water damage on 500's :rolleyes:

4. davemercedes

davemercedes Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av
    What a nonsense: SWMBO's car policy has £50 excess if it's not parked in the garage...
    - It's a 2005 (55) Renault Scenic!
    - But it is a 7-seater!

5. AMGeed

AMGeed Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2014 W212 E63 Biturbo
    I read your post perfectly well Rory and have quoted it again above. You made a reference to keyless that I bolded and that is what I replied to.
    Also is it really so hard to click the fob lock button twice instead of onece to disable keyless go? I do it as a matter of course when parking up for the night at home.
    Its no different IMO to " Is it really a big deal to grab a key from my pocket and use it to access my car and start it"?

We are going to disagree on this point about keyless go, as it will go around in circles. I always find its the owners that don't have keyless go that are the first to dismiss it. Strange eh?:rolleyes:
    You've had it previously and don't feel the need for it now. Thats fine, but don't knock it for the reasons you have given.

6. rorywquin

rorywquin Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    SL400
    Many owners have previous (keyless) experience, it has been around for a long time (I had it on a 2009 LandCruiser 200, where I did specify it - the risks were not well known then). I was fortunate to have the choice when specifying a brand a new car. It is a dirt cheap option.;)

If it came with a used car and I had no choice, I'd get "Autowatch Ghost" fitted.

I don't know why people think it is such a big deal and defend it so vehemently especially, as it does not leave the car safe (or you need to use the "keyless key" to make it safe :)).

I'm perfectly entitled to knock it for the reasons given. Pointless having a keyless system that you need to handle to make sure your car is safe. Then it is no longer keyless in the true sense of the word.

You're happy with it, good. People have had additional security installed e.g. "Autowatch Ghost", to ensure their car safety because of the security weak spot keyless causes.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    Conor likes this.
  7. rf065

rf065 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
    Which of course is not true. Unless the CEO of the company was on the other end of the phone, you were probably talking to a twenty year old youth with no idea how insurance underwriters set their prices.
    As stated before, if you garage your car you're more likely to claim for scraping it going in or out of the garage. Probably wasn't common years ago, but cars back then were not as wide.

8. 00slk

00slk Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 SL500 2009 SLK350
    I agree with you on this Russ, a fair few are very young (compared to me) when you are talking to them and their training is basically what they quote you when you ask the questions, Like us when we sell a car, heard all the cons ;)

LostKiwi likes this.
  9. AMGeed

AMGeed Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2014 W212 E63 Biturbo
    Well I'm not making a "big deal and defending KG", but trying to get some balance to your obvious dislike of the system and need to criticise it and make snide remarks about it (dirt cheap option?).
    You really are paranoid if you need to to disable the system every time you leave the car unless you choose to live in car crime central. If this is the case, KG isn't for you.
    But I prefer to disable it at night and trust that along with Autowatch Ghost to protect the car.
    And yes, I'm happy with it.

But if the worst should happen and it's stolen, then that is what insurance (and Gap insurance is for) There is just as much chance of your pride and joy vanishing without KG so perhaps you should invest in a Ghost or alternative security as well.
    Finally , car owners that had KG on their previous cars, I'm willing to bet that the majority would choose the option again on a new car. I believe you are in the minority.

10. AJD

AJD Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2012 W204 Sport ///AMG Line 4dr Auto, Obsidian Black, Light Grey Faux Leather. And no AMG badges !!
    Well I don’t know about that, mine seems to keep getting cheaper. My age starts with a 7 and my premium was £209 this year, last year it was £261 for the same coverage. The year before that if I remember it was £283. I haven’t made a claim in 30+ years. My mate in Norwich for a similar car pays over £400 for his similar vehicle and Norwich is only 25 miles away. There seems to be no logic in it, I think in a lot of the time it’s what they can get away with :rolleyes:

11. sonic

sonic Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
    I am over 70 now & I was expecting a slight rise in premium. For several years the insurers have increased the premium by about £70 on renewal. I have used confused.com & found quotes the same or cheaper than last year, & challenged them to meet the figure. So far they have done that, my last claim was 1977.
    I have both cars with Admiral, they credited my credit card with £50 last week.

AJD likes this.
  12. davemercedes

davemercedes Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av
    I’m glad you’re winning - I think the business management in insurance is pretty despicable. What other industry tries to trick you into believing that lack of claim ie reduced risk will reduce your costs while screwing you for whatever they can get away with? I actually think the time has come for a legal set up to stop the unwarranted pillage they get away with.

13. rorywquin

rorywquin Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    SL400

I'm sure you are 100% correct. You are aren't you??:rolleyes:

14. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500 (Malcolm Spec), 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    We have KG on 3 of our cars (but keyless entry on only 1).
    I even converted my Smart to KG. Would I do it again or deliberately spec it? Don't know.
    On MrsLK's Mini it's a pita. You have to open the door with the fib then find somewhere to put the fob unless you put it back in your pocket, but with the bunch of keys she has that's uncomfortable. They usually end up in the coffee holder.

The Smart likewise, except there's no coffee holder but I don't tend to have a large bunch of keys either. There is however a benefit to not having the keys in the ignition which is pretty unique to Smarts and Saabs. The key is between the seats and is easily knocked killing the ignition - a bit worrying when overtaking something!

The 230 has full keyless entry and go and is very good I must say, but I'm always nervous if a flat consumer battery locking me out so always end up carrying the normal key as well which does defeat the point. Later keys have KG integrated but then you're still carrying physical keys anyway. The separate credit card is very convenient I must say as it's very slim and can live unobtrusively in a pocket and is ideal for pottering about doing stuff on the car without having to remember where I put the keys down.

15. rorywquin

rorywquin Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    SL400
    [QUOTE="LostKiwi, post: 1821326, member: 13982"..............Smarts and Saabs. The key is between the seats and is easily knocked killing the ignition - a bit worrying when overtaking something!

[/QUOTE]

I've had a couple of SAABs and never had that problem - I don't think the key could be turned with the car in gear. Am I correct in recalling that the gearbox also got locked with the keys out?

16. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500 (Malcolm Spec), 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    I've had a couple of SAABs and never had that problem - I don't think the key could be turned with the car in gear. Am I correct in recalling that the gearbox also got locked with the keys out?[/QUOTE]
    Saabs can be turned off with it in gear (least ways mine could) but it's not normally an issue as the seats are far enough apart to make it difficult. The Smart on the other hand....

rorywquin likes this.