Another Brake Judder question

d4hwt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221
Have a problem with bake judder especially at low speeds...can feel a vibration coming thru the pedal as well....Both front disks and pads have been replaced but the rears haven't as yet...New tyres and wheels balanced, it really does feel as if its coming from the front end rather than the rear but i am beginning to think it may be something to do with the ABS as front suspension has been checked and given the all clear....any ideas??:confused:

'97 E200 Auto Elegance 80K Silver and recently de-rusted.

C220GJS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W202 C220 Elegance
Just cured a similar problem on my car by replacing the rear discs and pads. If there is no shake through the steering wheel it is most likely your rear brakes,on mine it wasn't obvious as the pitting was limited to the back of the disc.
Geo.

OP
d4hwt

d4hwt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221
Thanks geo,i'll try replacing the rear disks/pads, hopefully that will cure my problem.

robbi-wan

Reaction score
When this happened to mine, the vibration under braking was quite violent and could be felt through the pedal and steering wheel.
Luckily, it was under warranty and the indy changed the Drop links and Anti-roll bushes at the front (which were mid-life mods from MB) and changed the rear disks as well (which confused me at the time) but certainly did the job.
rob

turnipsock

Reaction score
C220GJS said:
Just cured a similar problem on my car by replacing the rear discs and pads. If there is no shake through the steering wheel it is most likely your rear brakes,on mine it wasn't obvious as the pitting was limited to the back of the disc.
Geo.

Me too.

The rear disks were a mess.

OP
d4hwt

d4hwt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221
Replaced rear disks/pads today and its cured my problems...cheers
Disks were in a bad way, looked ok on the outside but really bad on the inside( see pic)...Looks as if both calipers had the inside piston jammed as well....All freed off now and working.....copious amounts of copper grease and no more judders now!! :D

Attachments

• S4020011.JPG
    S4020011.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 45

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
d4hwt said:
Replaced rear disks/pads today and its cured my problems...cheers
Disks were in a bad way, looked ok on the outside but really bad on the inside( see pic)...Looks as if both calipers had the inside piston jammed as well....All freed off now and working.....copious amounts of copper grease and no more judders now!! :D
If the Winter get a bit harsh with a lot of snow, do a couple of hard stops now and then, (when its safe to do so) You only have 28% presure on the rear wheels, and this will keep them working. There must be a huge difference in the stopping now.

malcolm

Top Bottom