antifreeze

barnaclebill15

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk220cdi/2006/diesel
Changed my thermostat about 3 years ago and needed to add some antifreeze so bought some from the dealers, I am sure it was blue.
Checking levels today, the coolant looked a little low so before topping up looked in the header with my flashlight and it looks slightly orange.
Confused now, sure what I used before was blue, still have the old bottle but the label has come off.
Have not had any work done by the indy on the heating so can not account for the colour change.
Any ideas

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Colour is nothing but a dye and there is no standard as to what each colour is.
The correct coolant for most MBs is Comma G48 (green/blue usually )but if you don't know what's there already do a full flush with plain water and refill from scratch.
You cannot mix the various types as they can form a gel (and that does nothing for cooling).

OP
barnaclebill15

barnaclebill15

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk220cdi/2006/diesel
Sorry, three years training foreign engine cadets so need to use words they understand, spanner gets blank looks as does torch and all pressures in Mpa and kpa.
Cause problems saying thousands of an inch then tell then 1mm is about 40 thou so 0.1 is about 4 thou.

OP
barnaclebill15

barnaclebill15

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk220cdi/2006/diesel
Removed a small quantity from the header and it is blue/green when viewed in a clear plastic bottle but in situ looking into the header it is red/orange, must be the colour of the bottom of the header.
Well problem solved just get another 325 from the dealers.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom