Anyone Else Going To The Goodwood Revival?

Hanz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG/03/5.4V8
It's the Goodwood Revival on Sunday, and I've been invited. Anyone else going?

I've been told I need to dress up in something 1950's/1960's, so hell starts tomorrow as I try and find something to wear!

Anyone else been before? I'm a Goodwood virgin and just wondered what your opinions are on it? :confused:

SLinKyjoe

Reaction score
too young to be invited.

however, i do hope you take some pictures and bring them for us!!

please.

OP
Hanz

Hanz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG/03/5.4V8
I'll make sure I bring the camera!

At least I'm not driving there, so you're all safe on the road on Sunday...:)

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
Wear your most comfortable shoes, take water with you and go equipped for all weather conditions. Even if the weather's fine it gets pretty chilly towards the end of the day. Earplugs, sunglasses, comfy waterproof walking boots, waterproofs, tweed jacket, old school tie and straw boater, folding chair, picnic, water, camera, spare memory cards, mobile phone, pen, blanket and a couple of bottles of bubbly should do it

I always mean to hire a Sherpa to carry it all for me but forget every year!

To get you in the mood:

grm01.20534.jpg

grm01.20376.jpg

grm01.20448.jpg

grm01.20492.jpg

grm01.20520.jpg

More photos at http://www.bolide.co.uk/actions/image.taf?link=grm2001

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk
www.bolide.co.uk

OP
Hanz

Hanz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG/03/5.4V8
Fantastic photos, had a look at the site too. Looks great, some really gorgeous cars on there!

It should be a great day!

Balal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 350 R230
as SLinkyjoe said above!!!! dont forget to take the camera young lady!!!!

OP
Hanz

Hanz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG/03/5.4V8
I won't I won't!

angus falconer

Reaction score
veedweeb said:
And watch out for the maintenance van...
The car that gave up its wheels also gave up the rest of its running gear :shock:

I saw the van running up the hill at the Festival of Speed.....pretty handy for a Tranny.......

Hanz,

I haven't been to the Revival but have been to the Festival three times - you'll have a great day out. Fantastic range of cars and famous drivers. Beautiful setting and very relaxed atmosphere.

As the others say, keep your camera handy and as you are not driving make sure you have a drink or three,

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
veedweeb said:
And watch out for the maintenance van...

The car that gave up its wheels also gave up the rest of its running gear :shock:

XJ220 wheels?

Reaction score
I'm a member of the GRRC (Goodwood Road Race Club) and only live about 6 miles from Goodwood itself. Apart from the Weather (which looks pretty appaling), if you have not been to the Revival meeting before I can assure you that you are in for a treat. It's just amazing. If you are going with a GRRC member make sure you take your paddock passes. Please note, however, the paddock will NOT admit you if you are wearing trainers or jeans. But it's amazing walking round and suddenly realising that Murrey Walker is standing next to you and that he's talking to Joh Surtees or Damon Hill.

If you can you should dress up. Wear 1930's to 1960's gear. Probably about 70% of people dress up so you wont feel out of place and it all adds to the whole feel of the day. Think Royal Ascot with cars.

My recommendation for the best place to watch is that you go in through the main entrance and trun left, follow the track about a quarter of the way around so you are just past the end of the runway and sit down there. You are on one of the main straights just after the 1st corner. It's an amazing site seeing 20-30 GT40's thundering around the corner being driven by the likes of John Surtees, Jochan Mass and Sterling Moss. Often crashes on that corner too. Sad to see to GT40's or 1930's Ferrari F1 cars crashing into each other or the barrier but it's amazing to see just how hard these guys race these cars.

I also saw Barry Sheen's last ever race there just before he died. He came second to Wayne Gardner by 0.001 sec and they were both handicapped and had to start the race form the back of the grid (took them 2 laps to get passed everyone and be about 3 seconds out in front).

Amazing place, amazing day. You'll love it!

Last edited:
OP
Hanz

Hanz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG/03/5.4V8
Wow, sounds amazing.I hope this is the first year of many to come.

I got a 60's number together, need to get a headscarf and im complete!

I'll keep you in post and show you some photos!

SLinKyjoe

Reaction score
you make me wish i had some old gear to wear. I fancy going now. sounds good after that extended and well written write up.

OP
Hanz

Hanz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG/03/5.4V8
What's stopping you? Perhaps you could even fit in some dancing...maybe....possibly...

SLinKyjoe

Reaction score
got to go to scotland to see a man about a dog;) back tuesday see.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
SLinKyjoe said:
got to go to scotland to see a man about a dog;) back tuesday see.
Don't forget those back tyres, you only have 2.3mm usable left :rolleyes:

Malcolm

SLinKyjoe

Reaction score
2 be honest i think the fronts are down to 4mm too. shall check them in the morning before i dash off!

it had best be worth the trip too.

OP
Hanz

Hanz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG/03/5.4V8
It was amazing. Got up there about 10'oclock. The traffic was bad (to be expected though) but the sat nat seemed to take a different route and we avoided some of the queues..For once I can praise sat nat (I had been very wary of it, as round my area it seems to take you to dead ends, and can't find my house on friends systems).

The weather was bad, but not awful, the rain kept off which was great but the wind was high.

I dressed up in a lovely little red polka dot dress, and some of the costumes there were brilliant. The atomosphere in general was great which made the day so much better. The people who are hired to try and sell you "useless" items were great, walked past one trying to sell an old hoover to someone!

As for the cars, well, incredible. Such a large and varied selection of beautiful classics. Didn't go round the paddocks, as I'm not a member but had a look from the outside. Watched the saloon race and the once with the motorcycle engines (eg BMW Isettas/Messerssmits) , and the one with the AC cobras/Chevvys, but the problem I had is because I'm tiny (5ft3 - lol) I couldn't see that great, so next time maybe bring the step ladder? lol.

It was truly a fabulous day out, and I'm now counting the days till next year! Definatly going again. I'll post some photos later when I upload!

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom