Anyone here own a Porsche Cayenne?

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
Has anyone here owned or currently own a 2015 ish shape Cayenne 4.2 V8 diesel or 4.8 petrol Turbo?

If so could you share your ownership experience, anything that one should be aware of that isn’t commonly mentioned? What is the ride like from a comfort perfective?

I’ve read the transfer boxes had an issue which was replaced with an updated part and an issue with the stop/start system being heavy on its starter motor.

I am reluctantly considering one to replace the w221 as my father suffered a stroke and in terms complications and mobility, something like this may tick the box without sacrificing comfort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
@KennyN is on his second I think

Indeed i am :

You will be looking a a 958 Gen from 2012 - 2018.

I owned the above for 2.5 years with minimal issues , mine was the 3.0 diesel with around 70k miles.

Only things that actually went wrong were an ABS sensor on the rear offside corner , ride height linkage broke due to a pothole and a coolant leak from the diverter valve next to the oil cooler , the sensor was a £25 DIY fix as was the linkage and the coolant leak was fixed by the garage that i bought it from.

Running costs were sensible as were consumables (oil changes /discs / pads / trans oil / transfer case oil etc.) depending on where they were purchased from and what you can do yourself.

Must haves - Bose / Air suspension / sensible sized wheels / smooth leather

Nice to have - Pan roof / Burmeister Audio / Carplay / Sports chrono.

Cant comment on the V8`s but never found the 3.0 lacking as a daily.

Check the RFL as i believe the big petrol motors are almost £700 pa to tax.

For the record , the build quality on the older one is better than the new `19 onward models.

K

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Often thought about one of these as a replacement to my 212 E350CDI.
But only doing 3K miles a year at the moment, & the 212 has been built proof over 12 years.

OP
D

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That’s looks lovely! It is so nice to see on other than other than black/black. What is the seat comfort, wind noise and ride like in its softest setting?

Im fully aware of big typical running costs and that’s no issue, just part of the territory. So long as there no major design flaws I’d be happy. I don’t do big mileage at present but that could change which, won’t affect me as I don’t buy stuff for the moment and fully expect the government to move the goal posts. Just know that it will be easier to push my father in/out of a not too high SUV thing compare to the w221 and when he’s gone , then it will be my mums turn.

@sonic if your car is running well stick it!

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
We briefly talked here about a V8 Diesel Cayenne as a replacement tow car / comfortable cruiser for the W212. After initially liking the idea, we were put off by the prices of 2016+ models at that time (18-24 months ago). We would have been welcome at our Porsche club for sure! Decided to run the W212 for as long as we can instead, especially as Alex Foti has made it quieter and smoother than ever... We then spent the budget on the Type R instead.

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That’s looks lovely! It is so nice to see on other than other than black/black. What is the seat comfort, wind noise and ride like in its softest setting?

The basic eight way "comfort" seats are great , possibly greater with the sixteen way adjustable ones. Dont know if the sport seats were an option on the 958 but on the newer model they are no where near as comfy as the older non-sports seats.

Did London in one go from Glasgow in the old Cayenne , had to stop for a stretch on the way home in the new one with the sport seats as my back was giving me grief.

Good thing with the air suspension is that it can be put into a loading setting making it easier for people with limited mobility to get in / out.

The sports seats are the one with the integral headrests.

Make sure it is actually a 2015 onwards vehicle not a late registered previous one as the earlier ones were not E6 compliant and have the awful tiptronic function on the steering wheel meaning you can change up and down on either side opposed to the more traditional paddles on the back of the wheel on the later models.

K

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
You may get a cheaper deal on an equivalent VW Toureg, friends in next village have one of each, and much of Julian's Touareg are common to James's Cayenne!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
You may get a cheaper deal on an equivalent VW Toureg, friends in next village have one of each, and much of Julian's Touareg are common to James's Cayenne!
Or the Audi Q7/8 or Lamborghini anus… all the same car… :eek:

OP
D

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If it didn’t have to replace the w221 then I’d get any old low cost, low owner full history Touareg, Q7 4.2, RR petrol, x5, cayenne v8 to beat about in. With the 4.2 diesel option Porsche and Audi have a serious alternative to a petrol turbo and I’ve seen nothing come close in the reviews for the Cayennes comfort and dynamic abilities.

At this price point the porsche seems to be in a class of its own with the 4.2 v8 diesel is still EU5 (think it became EU6 in 2016) and the turbo petrol seems to hold its own. I need to try and find couple where dealers welcome a test drive.

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I need to try and find couple where dealers welcome a test drive.

The transfer box is the Achilles heel of the VAG drive system , loads of info out there how to check.

A quick test on your test drive is brisk acceleration from standstill whilst on almost full lock , any skipping or expensive mechanical noises could point to a failing or failed unit. The root cause of the problem seems to be water ingress to the case , reducing the lubrication properties of the oil causing excessive wear , genuine oil is around £10 per liter and can be replaced in > 1 hour as the case is easily accessible under the vehicle.

K

Reactions: DSK

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom