Anyone used the ECP front wings for a 210

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
It's a w210...doesn't need stone chips. On one of the old wings the underseal had peeled back around the arch...and rusted heavily.

Last edited:

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
The undersealing was joke and rusting underneath was a big issue, other manufacturers fared much better by not using loads of underseal.and better quality metal and proper ecoating

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Nobody can paint sharp edges well, paint applied to a sharp edge will always pull back from the edge, leaving the edge with a poor coverage. This edge is therefore highly prone to edge corrosion.
This problem is well known in the coatings industries.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Do you work in the coatings industry?

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Don't take my word for it Just Google Edge Corrosion you will be overwhelmed with technical papers detailing the problems.

Benzworx

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 55 amg
With the system we use, dont have a problem with coating sharp edges as said by Xtractorfan

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Clive, how do you do it?

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Im sorry technical papers or not. I have never had problems with edges rusting on any panels we have fitted, MB wouldn't either if they would just use decent metal and ecoat their cars and use a proper priming procedure.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
What is "ecoat"...?

Benzworx

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 55 amg
Don't take my word for it Just Google Edge Corrosion you will be overwhelmed with technical papers detailing the problems.

Yes but there is a way and have been using the system for over 3yrs now
and its not rocket science trust me :)

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi

Benzworx

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 55 amg
Very true and agree with you entirely, that is why i spent months/years
as a paint coating consultant automotive and marine

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
This isnt an argument about the merits of sharp edges or the problems with them, it is just a thing that one accepts and therefore deals with, similarly if I were to paint over a weld without sanding/grinding and preparing the area before painting then it too would rust away within a short time
My argument is that MB with all the technical knowledge available should be able to produce a car than can last at least ten or twelve years without any rust appearing whatsoever.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Oh and welcome back Malcolm, hope all is well.

OP
R

R W

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 E320cdi/ Sclass 2012 350cdi
Thank you all for your replies. So the Taiwan wings seem to be of good quality & fit so unless ECP reply to Frontstep question & have a good reason to buy the more expensive, I will be buying the Taiwan wings.

Naraic your write up on rust repairs & the new wings makes interesting reading. How bad were your old wings, do you have any photos. Did you fit the seals between the wing & bumper, or did you assemble without the seal. I hope & am not expecting as much rust as yours when I remove my wings. I have removed the wheel arch liners several times over the years , cleaned & sprayed with waxoil so I hope there are no nasty surprises.

I was thinking of painting the underside of the new wings with Por15 or Hammerite, then waxoil or the Bilt Hamber wax on top. Or years ago Schultz( I think 3M make it now) did a rubberised spray on protection, that dried to a hard rubbery finish. I did read this may have some adhesion problems if the surface is not 100% clean & letting water behind the sealant, making the rust problem worse. But as the wings will be new & will be clean it should adhere OK.

What are your thoughts on protection of the new panels?, paint, wax or rubberised sealant.

Last edited:

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
The old wings:

I epoxy primed then used Bilt Hamber wax on the new wings.

Last edited:
Top Bottom