Auto box oil change?

mercedes13156

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Cabrio and a Ford Kuga
Hi Guys, Anyone know where the filters are on the 5 speed auto box on a 98 C Class? Its a bit less than smooth in the morning and several people have recommended I change the ATF and the filters? Is it a job I could do with the family spanner?

veedweeb

Reaction score
They seem to hold the gears longer when they are cold - it warms the catalytic convertor up more quickly.

Are you sure it's not just doing that?

RichHammond

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R class 2006
Its funny you say that, ive had mine in today for exactly the same thing on a morning it holds onto first longer and gives a gerk when it changes.After the first change or two its fine then all day even when its been stood an hour. The service manager was going to re set the gear box to its factory settings but couldnt as the computor was playing up so its going in friday. He did say its normal for them to do this. It has a Mb warranty so im sure if there was a chance of a claim they would have jumped at it so this must be correct????.

bibamus

Reaction score
Mine (97 C180) hangs on to first and second when cold, usually changes at around 3000 rpm. After a few hundred yards, the changes happen at lower revs and everything smooths out quickly.
I assume this is the quick warm up feature for the Cat?
Allan

OP
mercedes13156

mercedes13156

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Cabrio and a Ford Kuga
It tends to be jerky for the first few miles, but after it warms up, it still snatches occasionally. It goes from 5 to 4 like greased clingfilm, but seems to hesitate fom 4 to 3 before taking off. It's worst going downhill on the overrun from 3 to 2, or 2 to 1. On takeoff, it sometimes jerks into 2 and 3 under light acceleration. Most times, it's faultless.

jimsinessex

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 W209 CLK 320CDI Coupe
It is a feature of the MB electronic auto g/boxes to change at higher revs when cold. This is to heat the cat up faster and let MB pass the emissions tests for a cold start. There is usually a reference to this in the handbook.

Jim

Top Bottom