Auto transmission fluid top-up advice needed.

XL5man

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDi Estate
Hi everyone.
My 2003 E320 CDi automatic developed a distinct gearbox whine, particularly noticable in first and second gears. To my amazement, after a long drive be back to from the Midlands from Cornwall this week, the gearbox whine is now much less noticeable, almost non-existant. My son, who has done all the maintenance on the car, is considering adding some more transmission fluid. Could I ask where the filling point is? Also is there any dipstick or way of checking the existing transmission fluid level?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Most auto gearboxes these days have a fill/level plug on the side of the gearbox .... dipsticks were removed years ago ..... they need to make things as awkward as possible to prevent us doing our own ATF changes. ;)

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
There is a kit on fleebay that contains 5 different filler adapters that pretty much cover any box you would want to service , just put in search for mercedes auto gearbox adapter and it should come up , as for the noise your hearing I think new oil and filter would be better than just topping up

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
There is a kit on fleebay that contains 5 different filler adapters that pretty much cover any box you would want to service , just put in search for mercedes auto gearbox adapter and it should come up , as for the noise your hearing I think new oil and filter would be better than just topping up

I'd have to agree with the above advice regarding an oil /filter change, especially if its not been done in a while.
Don't top up the ATF without checking the level first and that needs to be done with the ATF hot (80c?), the engine running and in neutral.

steveq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 Merc S212 E220CDI Estate; Tesla Model 3; 1965 W113 Merc 230SL Pagoda
Hi,
I would guess that you have the 5 speed 722.6 gearbox.
That does have a dip stick tube. It is situated at the back left hand side of the engine (as you look at the engine from the front of the car). There is a plastic cap on the dipstick tube with a (red or black) locking tab.the tab has to be removed to get the cap off.
You can buy a dip stick for the 722.6 gearbox. To dip the oil you push in the dipstick as far as it goes and hits the bottom of the sump. There are a couple of bends so you have to push the dipstick beyond those. The dipstick is too long and will stick out of the top of the tube even when it is hitting the bottom of the sump.
You dip the fluid with the engine running and up to normal working temperature.

With your car being 17 years old I would suggest that you change the fluid and filter as soon as possible.

Last edited:

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
Never known auto gearbox whine , they are mainly full of ATF fluid .. night be worth looking at other things . Get her up on the ramps start the engine listen from below . Also you should know how to check your auto box before going on a journey ,May be no atf fluid in it .

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Oddly I had a similar thing on my old 211, noticeable in 1st and 2nd, nothing after that. Did a fluid flush a couple of times and made no difference, had the oil checked the first time for contamination and nothing there. Long story short I drove it to Slovakia and back, by the time I returned the whine had gone completely, so at my guess it’s something in the box that just sticking that little bit and after long autobahn runs and mountain roads (in the middle of summer) it just cleared itself out/broke down what ever deposits were there.
Ran the car for about couple of years after that and never returned

mike2909

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI Sport 2008 , Vito 639 2013, ML 270CDI 2005
Hi,
That does have a dip stick tube. It is situated at the back left hand side of the engine (as you look at the engine from the front of the car). There is a plastic cap on the dipstick tube with a (red or black) locking tab.the tab has to be removed to get the cap off.
You can buy a dip stick for the 722.6 gearbox. To dip the oil you push in the dipstick as far as it goes and hits the bottom of the sump. There are a couple of bends so you have to push the dipstick beyond those. The dipstick is too long and will stick out of the top of the tube even when it is hitting the bottom of the sump.

With your car being 17 years old I would suggest that you change the fluid and filter as soon as possible.
Hi,

I just wanted to clarify for myself.
Engine and gearbox up to normal running temperature, gearbox in neutral , and then check the level with the engine running? Is that the correct procedure?

steveq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 Merc S212 E220CDI Estate; Tesla Model 3; 1965 W113 Merc 230SL Pagoda
Yes, that's correct.
The car can be in Park.
Make sure that the dipstick hits the bottom of the gearbox sump. The dipstick will be too long and so will be sticking out the top of the tube even when you can hear it hitting the bottom of the sump.
Also, make sure that you are putting the dipstick into the correct tube !!

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Yes, that's correct. But also note that the car needs to be on level ground both ways, the box can be in neutral or park, it must be up to normal operating temperature (80 degs C), the engine must be running, and the dipstick must be fully inserted (there is a false 'bottom' as you push the dipstick in, which is just a bend in the outer tube).
The filter, which will also need changing, is internal, so to change the filter the gearbox sump has to be removed.

Warning: If your atf has not been changed over the last 40k miles, it is now overdue. It is false economy to simply top up the fluid.
There is a good sticky on here which details the procedure, with photographs.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom