Autocar/WD reliability index

roop_the_loop

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI BlueEff SE, 7G auto, estate (S212), 2012
I might buy the general point that Japanese cars are on the whole reliable, but that's pretty much where I'll draw the line. Any survey that tries to tell me that Fiat and Citroen are more reliable than Volkswagen and Volvo clearly has something wrong with its underlying methodology and assumptions. I've had all four makes over the years, and (although working on a very small sample here) I know which ones I had the most trouble with.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I might buy the general point that Japanese cars are on the whole reliable, but that's pretty much where I'll draw the line. Any survey that tries to tell me that Fiat and Citroen are more reliable than Volkswagen and Volvo clearly has something wrong with its underlying methodology and assumptions. I've had all four makes over the years, and (although working on a very small sample here) I know which ones I had the most trouble with.

I do not believe it at all as well, no one would bother to insure the cars that did not give trouble and they would be left with just the expensive troublesome cars, plus MB drivers are probably a little better off than some others

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate

My explanation would be the following based on [ Each car's "reliability index" is calculated from the number of breakdowns, average repair costs and repair time. ] that Citroen and FIAT would be cheaper to repair than Volvo or VW which might tend to cancel out their higher failure rate. This is assuming they are all repaired at their respective main dealers.

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
My explanation would be the following based on [ Each car's "reliability index" is calculated from the number of breakdowns, average repair costs and repair time. ] that Citroen and FIAT would be cheaper to repair than Volvo or VW which might tend to cancel out their higher failure rate. This is assuming they are all repaired at their respective main dealers. One thing is certain that the use of replacement components on the latest models that require coding with sophisticated diagnostic systems to allow the car to recognise them is forcing owners/ warranty companies to use main dealers for most repairs. This restricts competition and drives up prices.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
My explanation would be the following based on [ Each car's "reliability index" is calculated from the number of breakdowns, average repair costs and repair time. ] that Citroen and FIAT would be cheaper to repair than Volvo or VW which might tend to cancel out their higher failure rate. This is assuming they are all repaired at their respective main dealers. One thing is certain that the use of replacement components on the latest models that require coding with sophisticated diagnostic systems to allow the car to recognise them is forcing owners/ warranty companies to use main dealers for most repairs. This restricts competition and drives up prices.

Warranty Direct offer a 2 tier system, Main dealer or Indie

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom