Auxilliary Radiator...True or False?

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
All's well that's well in the end.

I must admit that I'm struggling to decipher my own info now.

I look after a W203(C220) (203206) that has the following :
Engine 611962 30 515339
Transmission 722699 03 457773

By my reckoning, it is unaffected, Malcolm could you sense check this please?

Ta muchly

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
All clear Richard, I have sent you the rad removing paper so that you can be sure.

Ian B Walker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300td
Changing the radiator is a nightmare as the front bumper must be removed as to the intercooler and condenser. Mb time 3.7 hours. My time, a day :Oops:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Changing the radiator is a nightmare as the front bumper must be removed as to the intercooler and condenser. Mb time 3.7 hours. My time, a day :Oops:

Are you on a go slow this week Ian :D still this car in question does not have a problem, as it has the 612 engine

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
I've had a look, and it must be an oil cooler as the pipes are only clipped onto it. The pipes disappear under the engine cover above the steering pump, so will either be g'box or steering oil. Mother-in-law's C220CDI also has this cooler.

I've been puzzling over this little radiator (no 22) http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...647716.651&CT=F&cat=69J&SID=50&SGR=015&SGN=01 especially as the pipes connected to it are just soft rubber - not what you'd expect for either the a/c or ATF cooling.

I found it's sometimes described as LOW TEMPERATURE RADIATOR and it seems it's basically a remote way of cooling the turbo charger intercooler (hence the pipes disappearing under the engine cover).

Last edited:

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Going to have to look at my car tomorrow, been following this thread but now i have to look and see what rad your all talking about!

Ian B Walker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300td
Are you on a go slow this week Ian :D still this car in question does not have a problem, as it has the 612 engine
This car blew No 1 con rod though the side of the block as the gearbox was in limp home mode. Owners wife hammered it down the motorway at 70mph and con rod said. "Thats it, had enough of this" So everything about this thread is current with what we are doing. One converted engine, one new torque converter, one new gearbox and a new rad too. Not to mention new oil pump, oil cooler, 5 new injectors and load of other misc parts.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This car blew No 1 con rod though the side of the block as the gearbox was in limp home mode. Owners wife hammered it down the motorway at 70mph and con rod said. "Thats it, had enough of this" So everything about this thread is current with what we are doing. One converted engine, one new torque converter, one new gearbox and a new rad too. Not to mention new oil pump, oil cooler, 5 new injectors and load of other misc parts.

Some thing not right in WIS Ian the rad removal instruction show no fluid cooler on some cars listed as have the fault

Ian B Walker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300td
Cooler not listed on WIS for the 203016. However its there. As you say not quite right. It does however say to remove the air con condenser and the cooler is attached to that. Someone mentioned rubber pipes. These are for the atf. Engine oil cooler is situated at the front of the block just under the inlet manifold. Someone else mentioned the single cooler pipe (metal) running accross the front of the car. This is the steering pump cooler. The rad itself only has 2 inlet / outlets. 1, water in, 2, water out (ok coolant then). To put together this engine has been the worlds bigest jigsaw. We started with just a bare block and head. Limited info (some items mentioned on WIS were either not there or upgraded. For example, the engine oil cooler. There are 2 different types depending on the year of the car. The car we have is 02 plated. Just in the crossover period where some items for the previous car are used and some from the superceeded car are used. And they are not interchangable either (as we found out)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cooler not listed on WIS for the 203016. However its there. As you say not quite right. It does however say to remove the air con condenser and the cooler is attached to that. Someone mentioned rubber pipes. These are for the atf. Engine oil cooler is situated at the front of the block just under the inlet manifold. Someone else mentioned the single cooler pipe (metal) running accross the front of the car. This is the steering pump cooler. The rad itself only has 2 inlet / outlets. 1, water in, 2, water out (ok coolant then). To put together this engine has been the worlds bigest jigsaw. We started with just a bare block and head. Limited info (some items mentioned on WIS were either not there or upgraded. For example, the engine oil cooler. There are 2 different types depending on the year of the car. The car we have is 02 plated. Just in the crossover period where some items for the previous car are used and some from the superceeded car are used. And they are not interchangable either (as we found out)

Thank you for your feed back Ian,, this is a subject where I will no longer pass comment on what has and what it may not have.
As you say you have to see the car to be sure. So do expect a few hundred cars to be circling Freckleton ;)

OP
S.Speed

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
There is going to be one car for sure circling Freckleton Next week..
Tomorrow I shall take some photos and if anyone can tell me how to post them then I will.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There is going to be one car for sure circling Freckleton Next week..
Tomorrow I shall take some photos and if anyone can tell me how to post them then I will.

I am sorry for all the goings on this issue, I have sent out around 2000 papers in this last 6 months and they have all been good. I spent hours yesterday looking at all of the rads and engine combinations,it is as though MB had altered all of the info on this to make it look as though it could never happen, the leak that is.

How to post pictures under where you are posting you will see a box that says " manage attachments" A box will open that s says "browse" click on this and go to your pictures, select the picture that you wish to upload and click open, then go back to the box and click "upload".

You can only post small pictures this way and it tell you the max size, this is in KB and Mb and not the actual
picture size.

If you hover the mouse over the picture that you want to upload, it will tell you the size.

To post full size pictures you need a host site like photobucket

OP
S.Speed

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
Thanks Malcom..
I shall send a photo very soon..

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX

Thanks Ian, so we can conclude that the lesser spotted item 22 is the ATF rad, and the wiggly pipe is the PAS cooler.

Expert on technical terminology me :rolleyes:

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom