Bad brakes

• Thread starter George L Murray
  • Start date
G

George L Murray

I have recently aquired a Merc c270cdi which has been fully serviced at an MB dealership from new in 2003. After it was sitting for 2 weeks I noticed fuel consumption had gone from about 47 mpg to 37 mpg. Further inspection revealed a seized front brake caliper which I presume is to blame.

My question is this: would the brakes have been serviced at the last service which was a B service? The clock tells me there is 9500 miles to go to my next A service.

Thanks in advance

George

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello George,,sadly the calipers are not examined during a service,,there is nothing to see, the wheels should have been spun, and if it was faulty at that time it would have been picked up by the wheel being tight to turn.

These things can fail at any time, it could have been a little tight and the standing time allowed it to seize up

OP
G

George L Murray

Thanks Malcolm
I'll get the whole braking system serviced due to the salty climate up here in northern Scotland. Any thing else I should be looking out for?
Thanks again

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Malcolm
I'll get the whole braking system serviced due to the salty climate up here in northern Scotland. Any thing else I should be looking out for?
Thanks again

I do not think so,, we do not get many failing and it is no indication of any of the other 3 failing, just have the new one fitted,,and happy motoring :D

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
My question is this: would the brakes have been serviced at the last service which was a B service? The clock tells me there is 9500 miles to go to my next A service.

Thanks in advance

George
They wouldn't have been serviced however the "B" is a wheels off service so they should have been examined and a wear report produced. If one was seizing then they should have spotted it on the service IMHO.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
They wouldn't have been serviced however the "B" is a wheels off service so they should have been examined and a wear report produced. If one was seizing then they should have spotted it on the service IMHO.

Not so,,you cannot see the pistons with the pads in, if the wheels were tight to turn,then it would have been picked up.
Sadly a sticking caliper could be OK one day and not the next and very difficult to pick up, unless you were looking for a fault

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Not so,,you cannot see the pistons with the pads in, if the wheels were tight to turn,then it would have been picked up.
Sadly a sticking caliper could be OK one day and not the next and very difficult to pick up, unless you were looking for a fault
That is my point really, they should be looking for a fault, especially on a B service. Lets face it they charge enough for the privilege.
Yes it could have decided to stick just after the wheels were put back on that is just "sods law" however I've had sticking calipers before and it is very easy to know when you have them. Burnt fingers when trying to take the wheel off is always a memorable clue.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That is my point really, they should be looking for a fault, especially on a B service. Lets face it they charge enough for the privilege.
Yes it could have decided to stick just after the wheels were put back on that is just "sods law" however I've had sticking calipers before and it is very easy to know when you have them. Burnt fingers when trying to take the wheel off is always a memorable clue.

For once I am sticking up for MB,,if the car was standing ½ an hour before it went in, then they would be cold, plus that problem may not have been there then. The car has been standing for 2 weeks, and the car could have been serviced months before.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
when the wheels are off, dont they check that the pads arent siezed in the calipers? if not, theres barely any point in removing the wheels. if they do, then a sticking caliper piston should have been identified as the piston would have seemed to be sticking. i ALWAYS checked for this on a wheels off service. its part of the service and (if required) generates revenue as custome has fault fixed while wheels are off rather than be charged twice for removing them!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
when the wheels are off, dont they check that the pads arent siezed in the calipers? if not, theres barely any point in removing the wheels. if they do, then a sticking caliper piston should have been identified as the piston would have seemed to be sticking. i ALWAYS checked for this on a wheels off service. its part of the service and (if required) generates revenue as custome has fault fixed while wheels are off rather than be charged twice for removing them!

But the piston could have been fine when the car was last serviced, if it was seized on, then the driver would know by the smell and drag. if it was seized off then it would have been picked up as the disc would be rusty

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Very very common fault with a 203, the n/s always seizes!!!

OP
G

George L Murray

Folks
you will all have to pardon my ignorance. I think I know the square root of sod all about Mercs but I want to get to know about the one I have. The assistance with the posts I've put on here have been excellent and very helpful. As I posted earlier asking about the brakes, it was the n/s caliper that is jammed on. But also I notice the handbrake is a bit sticky to disengage. Is this common. Car is C 270 cdi
Thanks
George

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Linkage under the rear seat is open to the weather so that starts to seiz!! dont return the cables, sprayed mine up today when i was servicing it (MALC)!!!!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Linkage under the rear seat is open to the weather so that starts to seiz!! dont return the cables, sprayed mine up today when i was servicing it (MALC)!!!!!

Pleased that it got done:D:D

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
Vital that brake fluid is renewed on time EVERY time it should - often gets missed.

Moisture gets inside and causes corrosion - hence sticking piston/s.

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
It is remarkable how little binding due to stickyness is required to reduce your fuel consumption, just barely draging, hardly enough to feel can be enough to seriously spoil your fuel figures.

also
Did you know that the square root of sod all is plus or minus sod all? which one do you know?

Top Bottom