Bargains to be had

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
You can get them cheaper than that, someone on here got £30k plus off an SL500

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Yes and going forward there will be even better deals if we are locked down into June. I see a lot of car retailers are offering delivery to your drive so you can buy from your armchair

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
The car factories being shut dampens the bargains on new but thinking of the financing for a large new and nearly new pitch full of dusty stock I think there will be some grateful hands for your money especially for bigger lemons if this lockdown carries on.

My own thoughts are we will experience a big drop in cases outside of London in the next few weeks, people will relax and we will have a smaller resurgence.

Last edited:

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
We were mid negotiation with a dealer a day before the lockdown regarding a car for my son , just waiting on the phone ringing the second the lockdown is lifted.

For the first time in a long time it seems it will be a buyers market so we are going to get as much out the dealer that we can when negotiations resume.

K

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
For many there is little use for a car, until things improve.
My thoughts would be to buy a motor that I can spend some time on bringing it up to my desires.

I have noticed though that many parts suppliers are 'on holiday', so it could be that some works might not be possible.

In truth I can keep myself busy on other things for a while anyway.
I'm still interested in finding a couple of replacement motors but not in any rush.
The issue then would be how to get rid of my present motors.

A thought.
Larisa is considered to be a key worker, by her company at least.
So is viewing a replacement motor for her commute a reasonable journey, as I understand any journey's for repairs of her motor are ok?

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
my view ,cash will be king for a while and there will be great deals to get us spending again, but rising inflation will eat savings values shortly after.

Ricardo_e220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R170 SLK230k 1999
If anyone can you need to sit on this, if it goes on a long g while (who knows) then all the cars on lots will be devalued as something is o my worth what someone can pay for them...not what a dealer thinks they are worth...

I’d not be buying anything significant t at the moment but I’ve been laid off (sorry furloughed) by work...so I’ve too much time to think about how I need to prepare for my family

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
As an employee of a car a manufacturer (not MB) we are not thinking about when we will leagally be allowed to start production but instead thinking about how long we can hold it out before we can start again when there will actually be demand for the production. Thus we are not fighting governments for when we can resume, but essentially fighting them for not resuming (and them paying wages) as far as possible in the future.

This could destroy the lease industry and hence the new car sales industry. It doesn't look so wise now even as a high/stable earner to agree to pay a large part of your future income on leasing a car. But production halting will also mean it's not too much of a buyer's market...might well be a catalyst for a reduction in the numbers of car makers out there, there has been overcapacity for years

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
We were mid negotiation with a dealer a day before the lockdown regarding a car for my son , just waiting on the phone ringing the second the lockdown is lifted.

For the first time in a long time it seems it will be a buyers market so we are going to get as much out the dealer that we can when negotiations resume.

K
The dealers turn to have their Y fronts yanked down eh buddy :rolleyes:

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The dealers turn to have their Y fronts yanked down eh buddy :rolleyes:

Not all the way , just to their knees.

A week prior to the pandemic we had some figures done on the car , a day before lockdown we were offered a further £500 for the boys Fiesta and a further £500 off the price of the car , the sticking point was the MOT + service pack at £250 and that is where it was left.

Dealing with Arnold Shark is difficult , your car is worth X£ the car you are buying is Y£ and that was it with minimum "wiggle" room so take it or leave it, possibly because they have the monopoly around here and can (could) call the financial shots.

We will see what happens , anyway - there will be no new car if he looses his job in the coming weeks.

K

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I'm curious as to where all the car dealers have hidden their stock. I've passed quite a few dealer car parks that are completely empty apart from a 'scrapage' car parked across the gate way.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Not all the way , just to their knees.

A week prior to the pandemic we had some figures done on the car , a day before lockdown we were offered a further £500 for the boys Fiesta and a further £500 off the price of the car , the sticking point was the MOT + service pack at £250 and that is where it was left.

Dealing with Arnold Shark is difficult , your car is worth X£ the car you are buying is Y£ and that was it with minimum "wiggle" room so take it or leave it, possibly because they have the monopoly around here and can (could) call the financial shots.

We will see what happens , anyway - there will be no new car if he looses his job in the coming weeks.

K

Might be worth casting your net wider my daughter bought a BMW 1 series from a BMW dealer in Derby due the franchise in Leicester wanting £2k more for an identical car with more miles on it, no movement on price so we looked elsewhere and made quite a saving

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350

Dealing with Arnold Shark is difficult .....
I didn't think they had a very good reputation. There used to be a website called Arnoldsucks.com ..... there were many tales of gloom & doom, broken promises and general lies etc

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Might be worth casting your net wider

That is plan B , there are a few main dealers in the midlands that are offering similar vehicles it is just the thought of a potential 500m round trip that maybe fruitless , as we both work full time it is trying to get a time to do the "shopping".

I went to Manchester for my BM as there were no vehicles north of the border for sale , it also saved me a few grand for the sake of a train journey that the dealer even paid for , well done BMW Williams Manchester you will get my repeat business should i stay with the marque.

K

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I didn't think they had a very good reputation

They dont , unfortunately they have really cornered the market around here.

eg. - a few weeks ago - 2017 Seat Ibiza 1.2 FR Technology - Peter Vardy 0 / Evans Halshaw 2 / Arnold Clark 40+.

We were at a birthday party a few weeks back and in our company there was a high up manager from AC , he said their selling strategy is stack them high and sell them just below what everyone is charging and last year they sold 340,000 used cars hence they can call the shots with pricing around here anyway.

K

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
With closed factories there will be a significant shortage of stock so don't expect them to be giving cars away.

Ricardo_e220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R170 SLK230k 1999
They dont , unfortunately they have really cornered the market around here.

eg. - a few weeks ago - 2017 Seat Ibiza 1.2 FR Technology - Peter Vardy 0 / Evans Halshaw 2 / Arnold Clark 40+.

We were at a birthday party a few weeks back and in our company there was a high up manager from AC , he said their selling strategy is stack them high and sell them just below what everyone is charging and last year they sold 340,000 used cars hence they can call the shots with pricing around here anyway.

K

Yep only interested in volume of sales rather than £X markup...

Bought My Mrs car from them, part ex deal was decent car was decent, I haggled with them...they say they aren’t supposed to but did... no real issues

My CLS I nearly got from them also but it had gone and saved a couple of grand on a similar type place in Derbyshire - smaller but similar - visited tested car, went back a fortnight later - unless you want the experience (flowers and floof) there is a lot to be said in treating it like a white goods purchase which people reckon more will happen that way.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Bought a SLC250d Dec 2016 13K miles full MB service history one owner from Arnold Clark in February for £18,600. I was looking for a 250d registered before April 2017, £30 road tax. I had been watching MB second hand sales but there was nothing with the right spec about.
Good salesman no problems at all part ex was book price, managed to get him down £300 on the price. Very pleased with the deal, as you say no flowers & salesmen in suits.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom