BAS /ASR light Calling all experts please

Meanstreak

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have this anoying light come on on the dashboard , its orange and says bas then underneath asr , there is a switch on the center consol with asr on it and this dosnt appear to do anything, now im probably wrong here but i thought that switch had something to do with traction control ie either tun it on or off. Any help with this i would be very gratefull
\thanks
Steve
Mercedes 200 clk 1998

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
It will be easiest to get the codes read out, yes the switch does turn it partially off, but not completely

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
hi steve, probably a brake pedal switch fault, do a search for it on the forum.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I must be getting too old,,I have told more than 1000 people that the brake light switch is the culprit here, but missed it tonight :(:(

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
malcolm my dear friend, you are as young as you feel!!! also, we are all getting old at the same speed.

OP
M

Meanstreak

Reaction score
Many thanks once again guys,,, i will try a new brake light switch and see if it cures the problem.
Steve

prc6

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 CLK 230 Kompressor that needs a bit of work
Just wondering if this resolved the fault for you, I had the light come on last week after pulling on to the M25. I have replaced the Brake pedal switch this weekend but so far it does not seem to have made any difference (light still showing on the dash). I have read about turning the steering wheel left to right to reset the light? Do i also need to do this (as tried it but did not seem to make any difference).

If it is not the brake pedal switch where should I be looking next?

Thanks

Pete

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No choice Pete other than to have the codes read out,its too hard to say if it is a ESP or BAS fault as one affects then other

The brake light switch was the cheapest option to try first

prc6

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Bugger that is a pain :( looks like another £40 to mercedes then. Am i right in thinking an aftermarket read would not be able to read this fault as thinking about purchising one (see thread)

Thanks

Pete

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I do not think that that one works on your 38 pin read out,,there are some that will

Will Barber

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 CL500 (4.7L M278)
I had this the other day.

Firstly I would check the brake fluid level. If the level is low then it's possible that you may have a very small hydraulic leak.... just like mine.!
Two days later the WARNING indicator 'LOW BRAKE FLUID'. Turned out that the rear crossover brake pipe had corroded beneath the body mounted clip, then gave up the ghost - despite passing an MOT 3 days earlier.

Will

prc6

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the pointer Will shall take a looked when i get the car back as decided to go with taking the car to my Local MB as they seem pretty good so far, they found that they K40 relay fuse had blown. Having replaced this has now cleared the BAS / ASR light strangely. Who would have thought to check the fuses for this one ?

Also they have just given me the good news that my MAF sensor is buggered and that the Battery is also not holding it charge. Can anything else go wrong :(

They did initially have a problem communicating with the car, could the K40 fuse have caused that also? or do i need to be worried that my ECU is also on the way out.

Cheers

Pete

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
It may not be a very techie answer but it worked for me first replaced switch no difference, then I simply cleaned every earth and contact I could find light went out stayed out must be over a year now. Star check confirmed no current faults.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom