Battery chargers

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
The early Aldi/Lidl were make as a special by Ctek but are now Chinese made.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Lidl and Aldi have them on special sometimes,

I can't remember which.... but one (I think aldi) have them on offer this week. I think its £17 for the price a very good deal, mine still works 3 years on no issues.

my father has a ctek - if you ask me its all marketing...

far happier with my oxford one... I like the fact I can see the volts and amps its working with - plus the strong or weak message seems 100% accurate reflection on the battery status - this comes up after its decided its charged enough - also like the "maintenance mode" where it can be seen to do stuff on and off at low amps - need to make sure its the more powerful one and a but pricey

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OXFORD-O...=item4d7df78bb4:g:wbAAAOSwkwdbsio6:rk:20:pf:0

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I wonder how many repetitive posts there are about battery chargers....... ;-)

The cheap is good mob and the CTEK fanboys (myself included).

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I can't remember which.... but one (I think aldi) have them on offer this week. I think its £17 for the price a very good deal, mine still works 3 years on no issues.

my father has a ctek - if you ask me its all marketing...

I guess the real question is 1) "what is it doing to the battery & car" - put a £17 charger on 100s of £ worth of dual batteries and sensitive car electronics or use a reputable charger with good charging algorithms --2) How will it survive regular use.

I threw out a 20 year-old cheap battery charger that still worked but had rarely been used ;-).

I have a CTEK which I purchased around 2008 and it was constantly used over a 4 year period for my 4x4 (3 batteries) and my off-road caravan (6 batteries) and conditioning my wife's car batteries. It kept my Landcruiser going through the Simpson desert for 3 days (my alternator was clogged with mud and not charging so I charged the (cranking) batteries overnight (in the rain and damp) with a Honda generator & the CTEK). It has been extensively used and exposed to rain, mud, dust & dirt and is still working perfectly 11 years on. I doubt that the Aldi special would still be working.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Agreed.
My 129 is using a cheap Maypole trickle charger which seems fine, but the battery is disconnected from the vehicle to be sure. The r230 has regular top ups using the Ctek whilst still fully connected.

The Ctek is now 15 years or so old, was bought for charging a dual battery installation in my Defender and has never missed a beat.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Without a strip down and test of these chargers its hard to say which are good and not so good.
Maybe theres a youtube out there.

There are many makes about.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom