Battery conditioner / charger advice needed

AndySlade

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 Diesel Estate, Sports Edition
Why not use crocodile clips?
Always the danger of them shorting out if you lower the bonnet, the additional connector avoids that possibility and is normally independently fused. As also stated sometimes they have LED visual indication of battery state of charge (CTEK). I have also fitted the additional lead connector for a neighbour who bought the Maypole.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Is that suitable for a car? The description says it's for motorbikes?
Actually, looking at it on Amazon, it says its for a range of motors, up to 2.5L
My car has a 3.0L engine. Will it still work?
I use Optimate or Ctek chargers on my bikes and cars. I use the same on either without issues

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Is that suitable for a car? The description says it's for motorbikes?
Actually, looking at it on Amazon, it says its for a range of motors, up to 2.5L
My car has a 3.0L engine. Will it still work?

You're only using it to maintain the battery so it'll be able to cope .... it'd probably struggle to charge it if it was pretty flat

MBE300RT

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S210 300TD 1998
A few weeks ago I got a warning to say the collision prevention system was inoperative. Some very kind people on here told me it was just a battery issue, and so after a reasonably long drive the warning went away. I'm only really doing short drives during lockdown, and the warning is back again now.

Is it worth me investing in a battery conditioner / charger? I see on these pages that everyone recommends getting a CTEK. I'm looking at the MXS 5.0. Is this the right one to go for, for very occasional use? Or can anyone advise which model might be best suited for my car (2015 e350). Also, I don't have a garage, but I do have a big drive with an outdoor socket. Can these things be safely left on charge overnight? Can I close the bonnet with the charger inside the engine bay? Or do I connect it via the boot? Does the charger charge both batteries at the same time? And lastly, (scuze my ignorance) I can't find a negative terminal or brass post inside the engine bay, and the handbook diagram is useless. Where do I connect the negative terminal? Do I hook this charger up via the engine bay, or the boot? (A photo would be extremely appreciated!) Thanks.
I have a charger like the one you mentioned and I'm sure it will do what you want. At 5Amps maximum it will provide a useful top up, while you're not using the car much, in just a few hours. You can leave it charging all night if you want to. As the battery charges up the charging current reduces and when it reaches a low value the charger switches to what it refers to as Step 7 and this indicates the battery is considered to be fully charged.
It will fully charge your battery, or a much larger one, if left charging for long enough though a higher current charger would do so more quickly.
Low rate charging is better for the battery so is preferable if you're not in a hurry so I don't think you'd need a higher charging rate.
I don't have a second, auxiliary battery on any of my cars so I can't say how this will be affected by lack of use so hopefully someone else can tell us.

OP
micky.

micky.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 AMG Line Coupe 2015
I found the earth connection point. It was on the opposite side of the engine bay from where it was described in the handbook!

And I've ordered this charger, £29.85 inc p&p at the moment... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Maypole-...Car-Battery-Charger-Fast-Trickle/362386952102

I've noted the points made by bc100, and this charger does reach 15.6v during desulphation, so it exceeds MB's 14.8v maximum. But looking at this thread and other extensive reviews etc online, I haven't come across anyone who has fried their electrics using one of these types of modern chargers, so I'm going to say a prayer and risk it.

I don't know which of the two batteries needs to be charged up, so I'll do the engine bay first and see if that restores my collision prevention. And if it doesn't, hopefully charging up the auxiliary battery in the boot will.

Last edited:

S500 Pete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500 (W222) 2014. Turbo 4.7 V8 with loads of toys. Superfast luxury.
Thanks Malcolm. I found the positive behind the slider. It's just the earth I can't locate.
The earth on mine is under a panel near the live terminal. Cover has 3 quarter turn fasteners and there is a bolt underneath. I charged mine from there with a Ctek.

Gary Toth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
r107
A few weeks ago I got a warning to say the collision prevention system was inoperative. Some very kind people on here told me it was just a battery issue, and so after a reasonably long drive the warning went away. I'm only really doing short drives during lockdown, and the warning is back again now.

Is it worth me investing in a battery conditioner / charger? I see on these pages that everyone recommends getting a CTEK. I'm looking at the MXS 5.0. Is this the right one to go for, for very occasional use? Or can anyone advise which model might be best suited for my car (2015 e350). Also, I don't have a garage, but I do have a big drive with an outdoor socket. Can these things be safely left on charge overnight? Can I close the bonnet with the charger inside the engine bay? Or do I connect it via the boot? Does the charger charge both batteries at the same time? And lastly, (scuze my ignorance) I can't find a negative terminal or brass post inside the engine bay, and the handbook diagram is useless. Where do I connect the negative terminal? Do I hook this charger up via the engine bay, or the boot? (A photo would be extremely appreciated!) Thanks.
Hi A conditioner is not a charger so its fine to leave it on, I have a conditioner on my classic bikes on all year. But if its a flat battery it will not charge it for you. But once charged it will keep it charged if that makes sense.

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
........ This applies if you charge with the battery still connected in the car.
You will need to check your manual about maximum charge voltages
What did your manual say for your c250.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I use 2 c Maypole 7423 chargers on my cars in France. One of those is 700cc and the other 5 litres.
Used them for over 3 years now with no problems.
In the UK I use a Ctek MXS10 on the R230, purely because I already had it from my land rover days.

Last edited:

bc100

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S205 C250 BluTec Estate 2014
What did your manual say for your c250.

It specifically says; ! Only use battery chargers with a maximum charge voltage of 14.8Volts.

If you disconnect the battery during charge then the higher voltage peak won't matter. I want to charge with battery connected and was probably being over cautious about possible problems downstream. I had just acquired the car so was being protective of my new toy.

Last edited:

AndySlade

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 Diesel Estate, Sports Edition
It specifically says; ! Only use battery chargers with a maximum charge voltage of 14.8Volts.

If you disconnect the battery during charge then the higher voltage peak won't matter. I want to charge with battery connected and was probably being over cautious about possible problems downstream. I had just acquired the car so was being protective of my new toy.

I'm sure I have seen the CTEK chargers/conditioners being rebadged and supplied as official M-B and Porsche supplied acccessories!

Gary Toth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
r107
bat
Always the danger of them shorting out if you lower the bonnet, the additional connector avoids that possibility and is normally independently fused. As also stated sometimes they have LED visual indication of battery state of charge (CTEK). I have also fitted the additional lead connector for a neighbour who bought the Maypole.
battery is still 12v

OP
micky.

micky.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 AMG Line Coupe 2015
I lost my nerve in the end. Not wanting to risk any damage to my electrics, and listening to the caution of bc100, I bought the Maypole MP7428 (which thanks to a pricing error I only paid £24 for in the end). But I also bought the less powerful MP7423 too (£18), which, crucially, doesn't appear to exceed 15.6v. Thanks to LostKiwi for the recommendation.

I charged both my car's batteries this morning without any fuss, then started it up and found the original collision prevention error warning was still there!! My car is in for service this week, so hopefully this is a software issue. Otherwise, I have a horrible feeling it could get expensive.

The Maypole chargers seem excellent by the way - they're simple to use, and the build quality is really good, especially for the price.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.

Would have to be a numpty to short it all out. Common sense always seems to be the loser. How would the insulated handles (croc clips) short through a painted bonnet?

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
Would have to be a numpty to short it all out. Common sense always seems to be the loser. How would the insulated handles (croc clips) short through a painted bonnet?

It's certainly fiddly on my car - using my car so little at the moment I bought the CTEK MXS 5 a few weeks ago (wish I'd seen the £20 Maypole one!) and I have to lower the bonnet onto a thick folded up towel otherwise it pops the crocodile clip off the jump start post - there's just no space to get the clip flat enough.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
It's certainly fiddly on my car - using my car so little at the moment I bought the CTEK MXS 5 a few weeks ago (wish I'd seen the £20 Maypole one!) and I have to lower the bonnet onto a thick folded up towel otherwise it pops the crocodile clip off the jump start post - there's just no space to get the clip flat enough.
Why don’t you use the quick connect fly lead buddy ? (Assuming the Ctek has one )

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
Why don’t you use the quick connect fly lead buddy ? (Assuming the Ctek has one )

I've got the lead. I only briefly looked but didn't fancy leaving the lead dangling in the battery "bay" that the W203 has. Because of where the car is parked leave it on charge all the time anyway.

How do you get the mains under the bonnet, and close it?

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
I have an MXS5.0 and an MXS10, I tend to use the MXS10 on my SL (R230) as it charges the battery in half the time of the 5.0.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom