Battery drainage

Rtaylor8

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Slk 230
Having taken the SLK off the road for the winter I usually attach it to a trickle charger and all is well.... however I took it out for a quick spin a few weeks ago and left the charger off when I came home. Trying to start it a couple of weeks later and the battery has drained - less than 9 volts.... (it was fully charged when I took it out). Any idea what the likely culprits are? I checked all the lights were off, radio off and air con/heater off when I got back. The car is in a garage so not exposed to the element........

any suggestions gratefully received

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Something may not be shutting down, possibly due to water ingress. However not many modern vehicles will keep their battery charger for longer than a week

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
You could do a drainage test if you have a meter that will show milliamps, I think, but not sure (so check) disconnect negative and install meter between the negative lead and body, will show what is being pulled out.
You do not say how old the battery is, it could well be past its best, if you disconnect it, charge it to full and leave it overnight, if it drops down towards 12 volts or less, its had it. Good battery will maintain about 12.7 volts.
All modern cars will use power whilst sleeping to keep things going.

OP
Rtaylor8

Rtaylor8

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Slk 230
Thanks Gents... I have had the car 18 months, so not sure how old battery is... wasn’t an issue last year when I used everyday... so drainage must be relatively slow. Will try the trickle test, but also fully charge it and see.... appreciate that there will be some drainage with modern cars but seemed a lot over a short space of 2 weeks... if no joy will get a new one...Eurocar parts usually have a sale on!!

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Check that the battery is being charged when running.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom