battery - long term storage

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
So our 2015 E220 will be parked up for several months at a time. There's no mains so a maintainer isn't an option so we need to disconnect the battery (is there a second battery on these?).
Previously (on the last E) we tried one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124162582873?epid=5045086598&hash=item1ce8aaa959:g:oEIAAOSwAWtb2rtp
But they're really designed to be connected most of the time and leaving it disconnected for a period, the contact area corroded and caused all sorts of issues. Could go that way agan and copper ease it first but on the bluetec, the battery isn't exactly accessible.

So short of removing the cover and disconnecting the battery with a 10mm spanner each time - is there an easier option anyone has used?
Thanks

jimbg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class Estate 2020 220d Prem Plus
I use that one to keep an open boat battery topped up as the bilge pump switches in to clear the rather too frequent rain!

It has a diode in the circuit to stop the battery charging the solar panel at night.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
For 'several Months' at a time if solar isn't an option I would bring the battery/ies home and keep them topped up by a once a Month charge, I rather suspect your Aux battery is in the form of a capacitor pack in the passenger footwell on the bulkhead but to check just have a look in the spare wheel well for a shoe box size plastic cover under which you'll find a small 12-14Ah battery if fitted.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom