Blue badge/free parking

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
A lot of council car parks are only free for drivers who are in receipt of disability living allowance AND who qualify for free road fund licence.
Those people who have a blue badge but who are not exempt from paying the RFL still have to pay to park.
A lot of the car parks in coastal holiday resorts-especially in the west country-use this system.
A friend of mine who lives in Devon has to pay to use disabled bays, so instead, he moves 10 metres down the road and parks - legally - on yellow lines.

That is the joke of it all :D:D

steve_k243

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Sport/2016 BMW 520d (dark side for a couple of years)
Yesterday, whilst at my local supermarket, I walked past the blue badge parking bay, which was full of very expensive SUV's/MPV's. Way beyond my purchasing power.
This sort of got me thinking, that because you are disabled, doesn't necc mean that you're skint, and therefore Councils could rake in a lot of extra money by making blue badge holders pay. Yes give them designated park areas, I get that, but make them pay for them like everybody else. Low income families have to pay, so why not the owners of this shiny new hardwear (some bigger than an HGV tractor unit) being driven by blue badge holders?
This isn't an outright attack on blue badge holders, but more a comparison as to what is fair and what isn't.
I wonder how much revenue could be raked in, by taking this concession away?

My disability costs me hundreds a year. I have to take taxis to social events now, years ago I would walk to my loca pub 4 miles away, now I cannot walk to the nearest bus stop.

Why should I pay? I think I'm out of pocket enough already.

An awful lot of people have Blue Badges for relatives etc and abuse that, certainly I have seen Chelsea Tractors park up and the occupant run into the hospital etc. Blue Badges seem to be handed out like sweets by some local authorities, however it is only a legal requirement for parking where the bays etc are council run.

The Blue Badge Scheme does not apply to off-street car parks, for example supermarket car parks. However, off-street car parks may provide bays for Blue Badge holders

steve_k243

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A friend of mine who lives in Devon has to pay to use disabled bays, so instead, he moves 10 metres down the road and parks - legally - on yellow lines.

Exactly what I do in the Torbay area.

steve_k243

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
im not political at all but the idea of community work for 18 to 21s if you leave school with no qualifications or what ever sounds like a vote winner to me

steve:D

Last November I went into the local Jobcentre to pick up a form for Health Costs (disability)
Whilst I was getting my form a loudmouth in the obligatory tracksuit swaggered in and yelled "why is my payday not until Boxing Day" apparently the poor downtrodden wasn't due to recieve the taxpayers hard earned until the 26th ot Dec. Obviously this would have prevented his taxpayer funded Christmas binge.

Now, he admitted, with 7-8 weeks to ge before Christmas that he has no intention of finding work. Did they cut him off? No.

denchen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 B180d W247
This is slightly off topic but here goes.
A few years ago in a local paper they did a column about news 10 years ago and 25 years and 50 years.
Anyway it seems that 50 years ago, I believe at the time it was between the wars, the Council in a small village not far away wanted to lay the sewage. There was a lot of guys unemployed, so what the council did was to employ those that wanted to work, then bought them all a wheelbarrow, a pick axe and a shovel. The guys were employed at the going council rate and each week a bit of money was stopped to pay for the barrow and tools until it was all paid for then the guy would own his own tools.
Even today I think if some one is `willing` to work and has a barrow a pick and a shovel there might be work out there.

I feel a new bypass coming to town......

OP
Crazycarb

Crazycarb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 Jag XJ 3.2 , 2x Alfa spiders, 1X Alfa GTV V6 3.0.
My OP wasn't an attack on disabled people and a million miles from it. What it was, that I am not convinced that looking at these very expensive cars, that a blue badge denotes poverty and therefore I think it perfectly correct to of course provide special bays near the exits/entrances, but have a level playing field and expect the blue badge holders to pay if it is a pay car pk. like everybody else, instead of expecting a freebie.
Maybe low income families can be means tested for free parking also?

Chris & Sue

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2006 C180K Estate 2008 ML 320cdi
The reason they get a blue badge is because they are disabled (yes i know some flaunt the system but that's a different debate). Why does that mean they should pay to park?

The idea is they can legally park as close to where they need to be so as not to alienate them from living as fulfilling a life as possible. So i don't agree they should pay. As you said it's an indication of disability and not wealth.

I think that's the point Crazycarb is trying to make, blue badge holders may find it hard to walk, but why should that affect their ability to pay. I think he has a good point.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
My OP wasn't an attack on disabled people and a million miles from it. What it was, that I am not convinced that looking at these very expensive cars, that a blue badge denotes poverty and .....

You assume the badge holder owns the car it's displayed in ;) I know in most cases it is, but my Mum displays her badge in my car when I take her shopping/to the doctors/etc

OP
Crazycarb

Crazycarb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
but my Mum displays her badge in my car when I take her shopping/to the doctors/etc

Isn't that illegal? I thought the car reg was connected to the badge?

Boxbrownie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350Cdi BE but now a Q3
I've said for a while now that instead of issuing these ASBO's (which some scrotes collect like medals!) they should do forced labour.

And although off topic but relevant to your post.....

Prisoners, what the fcuk is our system doing? Make 'em work......hard work, or boring work, in the US they have to work in most prisons in fact we had a US washing machine that when delivered had a sticker on it stating "proud to be made in the USA by inmates of ******** correction facility"

Oh no! Get a stretch over here and it's look upon as a badge of honour on release :mad:

Boxbrownie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350Cdi BE but now a Q3
Isn't that illegal? I thought the car reg was connected to the badge?

I hope not as my neighbour has assured me it's perfectly legal when I have used his badge when we have taken him out for a break from his house etc

If I get nicked I'll break his dodgy legs! :D

Don't worry he will appreciate the joke ;)

OP
Crazycarb

Crazycarb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have no doubt that members here, follow the rules to the letter, but I'll wager there is mass abuse of this loose system.

OP
Crazycarb

Crazycarb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Years ago, all you had to do was go to a scrapyard, peel a blue sticker out of a scrapped car and off yer go. Sounds like not alot has changed?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
One only has to see outside Dorchester hospital, rows of cars on double lines outside in the road. Yes the badge belongs to the person. There are different rules for each county. Inside Dorset I can park in a disabled space if shopping for Lilian. In Devon next door you cannot do that.

steve_k243

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think that's the point Crazycarb is trying to make, blue badge holders may find it hard to walk, but why should that affect their ability to pay. I think he has a good point.

My, and no doubt many others have a disability which quite rightly does not attract benefits.
Remember that DLA is for people who have difficulty with daily taske such as showering / cooking / getting aound the house. Therefore there are many people, like me who are able to work etc but qualify for a Blue Badge because of injury etc. In many cases the disability costs us-like I pointed out I have to take taxis now where I used to walk. Forget buses etc in my case as I cannot stand for more than 5 minutes at a real push.

In summary being disabled, without DLA DOES cost-why should I pay any more?
I also live with the additional cost of multiple doctors-hospital-clinic and pharmacy visits which you don't. Today is only Wednesday--I have been to 2 clinics, one Doctor and the pharmacy twice this week. I should pay to park should I?

I sincerely hope that you (and others) don't find themselves ACTUALLY physically disabled, your attitude would very rapidly change!

steve_k243

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have no doubt that members here, follow the rules to the letter, but I'll wager there is mass abuse of this loose system.

I have no doubt about that--I see a few every week running to/from cars and vans parked in disabled bays.

OP
Crazycarb

Crazycarb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What actually inspired me to make the observation, was the very expensive cars in the blue badge line up, which immed. made me think that finances were not an issue. Maybe a means test would be a better & fairer way to issue FREE disabled parking, maybe an additional free parking badge? so those that don't qualify, cough up!

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom