Body shop needed Manchester area

Manc Rick

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E220 Premium +, 2017 with OM654.
I did something stupid recently, reversed into the corner of a skip at 2-3mph! It has caused what the insurance class as minor cosmetic damage. The E220 badge area of the boot lid lip is dented in (including the chrome strip) and the damage extends 5mm outside the boot lid.

I have this far informed the insurance company who have arranged to have it booked into a large auto body shop L&I Autos in a months time.

As this is the first time I’ve been in this situation, My obsessive nature is kicking in. Im thinking that the body shop have stated that I can cancel the booking at any time up to the appointment, which leads me to believe that they are not looking at ordering any parts, meaning that (I could be totally wrong) they are leaning towards a repair?

How they can repair this without new parts is beyond me?

Im considering hearing quotes and paying myself. I will have an excess of £500 with the insurance anyway, but I don’t know any good body shops locally, short of googling and taking a chance.

No claims bonus has already gone as my previous E class was stolen during a burglary at the start of the year, so I’m already paying handsomely.

Any word of wisdom greatfully received!

Pictures attached

Attachments

• 574436D3-D577-4C86-ADA1-98C2009634A0.jpeg
    574436D3-D577-4C86-ADA1-98C2009634A0.jpeg
    168.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 7606418F-EE9B-4D61-A871-1FA2B85AC791.jpeg
    7606418F-EE9B-4D61-A871-1FA2B85AC791.jpeg
    189.8 KB · Views: 14
  • F706BB91-0686-405D-AFD7-50F22394E8E3.jpeg
    F706BB91-0686-405D-AFD7-50F22394E8E3.jpeg
    229.8 KB · Views: 14

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
I wouldn't be too concerned about the body shop not ordering parts until they have the vehicle in their shop. Modern body shops will replace rather than repair anyway, because time wise it's much quicker. Difficult to tell from the photos but I guess an old fashioned body man (or one of those dent guys) would be able to repair those dents invisibly, but probably not the chrome strip. I've lost track of the good repairers in Manchester, but I'm sure someone on here can suggest one.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I wouldn't have involved my insurance company for that & gone directly to a body shop. I'd have thought there would be little difference between the repair costs & compulsory excesses.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
I wouldn't have involved my insurance company for that & gone directly to a body shop. I'd have thought there would be little difference between the repair costs & compulsory excesses.

Thats easier said than done if one is not so experienced on such matters. It is neither here nor there since the OP has informed his insurance and it will be noted.

OP check with your insurance if this is now a recorded incident and noted as a claim. I am sure though it will be noted as an accident - you know they always ask this question renewal time.

Good body shops can work wonders, they wouldnt exit otherwise.
New parts will be chrome trim and the model numbering - they are a beach to get on right so might be worth debadging.

Glad no ones hurt bar the wallet and the skip.

OP
Manc Rick

Manc Rick

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks all.
The insurance body shop have booked it in for a months time as they say it is minor cosmetic damage and not a priority. I planned on using that time to get quotes and I could be wrong but I thought that only ‘claims’ went against you with the insurance. I could have sworn they asked ‘have you had a claim in the last x years’ then, ‘was it a fault claim or not’?

I will check this so thanks for that.

I am now leaning towards booking it in myself and paying for it. The excess on the insurance is £500. My initial reason for going through the insurance was panic - I wanted it sorting ASAP with the least hassle.

I just don’tknow where to look other than doing a Google search and trusting online reviews.

Many years ago I used a scuff fixing service for a scrape and at a glance, it appeared to have been repaired flawlessly. On closer inspection it was a total mess. That was a smart repair type guy advertising locally. The photos on his website of the work he had done previously was very impossible and reviews were all great. Never again!

Thanks guys.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Thanks all.
The insurance body shop have booked it in for a months time as they say it is minor cosmetic damage and not a priority. I planned on using that time to get quotes and I could be wrong but I thought that only ‘claims’ went against you with the insurance. I could have sworn they asked ‘have you had a claim in the last x years’ then, ‘was it a fault claim or not’?

I am now leaning towards booking it in myself and paying for it. The excess on the insurance is £500. My initial reason for going through the insurance was panic - I wanted it sorting ASAP with the least hassle.

I just don’tknow where to look other than doing a Google search and trusting online reviews.

Many years ago I used a scuff fixing service for a scrape and at a glance, it appeared to have been repaired flawlessly. On closer inspection it was a total mess. That was a smart repair type guy advertising locally. The photos on his website of the work he had done previously was very impossible and reviews were all great. Never again!

Thanks guys.
The aspect of claims notified does seem to vary. Often the question is whether you have had an accident (or similar wording) in the last x years. You may find the premium increased because of your notification, although it seems purely luck whether premiums go up, down, or stay the same.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Thanks all.

Thanks guys.
Talk to a local car dealer and see who they use recommend

sidewaze samm

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'14 X156 GLA 250 4matic
Try Hanstons in Altrincham. They're Mercedes approved and chose not to be insurance company approved because of limitations placed upon them

OP
Manc Rick

Manc Rick

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks all for your input. I went to a couple of body shops and both told me that I’d be better off keeping this with the insurance company. Both offered to do the work, advising me to tell the insurance company that I’d chosen them.

One even said he would be able to lower my excess from £500 to £250, presumably as they know they can get away with charging much more through the insurance.

I got very fed up with it all and decided to leave it with the original insurance company body shop, who seem very professional so far.

They took the car and provided a courtesy car and did a full inspection. They said that it needs a new boot lid and chrome strip, lettering etc. They told me that the parts will be 7 days from
Mercedes, taking it to not next week but the week after and allowed m to take the car rather than leaving it parked in their car park for days.

One thing I’m wondering, when the new boot lid arrives, will it be colour coded or will it need spraying? I’m told by somebody that these days they come colour coded, ready painted but can’t find any info online.

I will find out in due course but wondered whether anyone can confirm?

Thanks again. Looking forward to it being all repaired.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom