Brake Calliper

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
2014 Viano 2.1 CDI.
MOT due Jan, no good if it fails and snowy so I'm going round checking the mo mo ready for an early MOT.
N/s fr calliper has a damaged top bellows slider protector and lower missing. Good job I'm checking. But the lower slider is seized, solid. With evidence of previous attention, so they gave up.

I'm guessing this a Brembo calliper, but no name on it. I'm surprised that replacements can be so cheap, £53
BRAKE CALIPER FRONT LEFT FOR MERCEDES VITO 2003->, VIANO 2003->/HZP-ME-016/ 5902048894359 | eBay

but would you?

Last edited:

Mark A

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
58 ML-320CDI.
Try brakeparts and big red too. They also sell seal kits / pistons etc..

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
2014 Viano 2.1 CDI.
MOT due Jan, no good if it fails and snowy so I'm going round checking the mo mo ready for an early MOT.
N/s fr calliper has a damaged top bellows slider protector and lower missing. Good job I'm checking. But the lower slider is seized, solid. With evidence of previous attention, so they gave up.

I'm guessing this a Brembo calliper, but no name on it. I'm surprised that replacements can be so cheap, £53
BRAKE CALIPER FRONT LEFT FOR MERCEDES VITO 2003->, VIANO 2003->/HZP-ME-016/ 5902048894359 | eBay

but would you?
I'd email the seller and ask where they were made and if they were reputable I'd buy a pair and change them both.

Reactions: M80
OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Aye, I'm thinking of both, certainly at that price.

Can you imagine a seller saying he only sells cr*p though?

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
Aye, I'm thinking of both, certainly at that price.

Can you imagine a seller saying he only sells cr*p though?
No, I would just like to find out their provenance and they have EU safety standards in manufacturing. A look through the description isn't clear NTY is listed as the manufacture. Seems they are European from a quick google.

OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB Macclesfield with their usual efficiency (no sarcasm for a change) have priced n/s at £225.60 and o/s at £218.40
2 day availability.

Although unsure it seems they are Brembo, as Bosch is faded out on their pc for this mo mo.

I can't see a genuine Brembo on eBay to see what markings it should carry but the linked calliper has the same marking as the duff one I have. Within 6 years the calliper has already been changed it would seem. Had the slider protection held up my calliper would be fine.
I reckon to take a punt on 2 of the linked callipers 'aint daft.

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
MB Macclesfield with their usual efficiency (no sarcasm for a change) have priced n/s at £225.60 and o/s at £218.40
2 day availability.

Although unsure it seems they are Brembo, as Bosch is faded out on their pc for this mo mo.

I can't see a genuine Brembo on eBay to see what markings it should carry but the linked calliper has the same marking as the duff one I have. Within 6 years the calliper has already been changed it would seem. Had the slider protection held up my calliper would be fine.
I reckon to take a punt on 2 of the linked callipers 'aint daft.
If you are happy with the provenance it would seem to be a good bet. Just make sure all the bolts and accessories are OK as they are just bare calipers.
Give us an update on the quality and fitment if you buy them, hope it works out.

OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Update as requested.

Callipers are an easy fit. The slider bellows are light duty rubber so I'll keep an eye on those,
I'm tempted to try a repair kit for size on the old callipers as they are the same manufacturer. Then at some point it may be that better rubbers can be fitted to the new callipers, but no rush.

All brakes now flushed through (using a pressure bleeder) with DOT5.1, as the quantity of DOT4 at the right price wasn't available. The pedal doesn't feel as keen as I would like but as I've swapped the pads around at the front I'll given them a chance to bed in again.

I've gone over the top with removing sensors to grease up bolts and bores, so now I've to replace broken bits that didn't want to come out easily. And I've painted the new callipers and applied Dinitrol RC800 to anywhere rusting and threatening to rust. I wanted that done before we get the salt attack.

I'm happy enough and near ready for an early MOT and hopefully no crawling around in the snow that'll be here soon enough.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom