Brake Dust: Wheel Shields - Maintenance Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeo

New Registration
Reaction score
I'm sick of brake dust... I put up with it for 10 years on my '91 560 sel, and just got a new '01 s500, only to discover the problem has gotten worse, not better, and the wheels are harder to clean. Has anyone used the wheel shields (sometimes called Kleen Wheels) that snap to the inside of the wheel? Are they safe? Are they effective?

Andy

Reaction score
Website
www.mercedesservicing.com
Brake Dust: Wheel Shields

A few of my customers use brake dust covers. They do not seem to have a problem. Only I do when replacing their brake pads as I generally then get covered!!

MB may well say that it will impair the brake effeciency & cooling. I dare say there might be an effect on cooling. But to this day I not been able to pin a brake problem on wheel discs.

Regards
Andy@www.mercedesservicing.com

David Halsey

Reaction score

In my experience I do not advise using these products. I had a case (many years back) with a rover that had dust covers fitted, one shifted slightly and became entangled in the caliper, when the pads wore down enough this caused the nearside caliper to become innafective and the vehicle to swerve whenever the brakes were used

Matt Crooke

Reaction score

I know its a totally different league of car, but my friends father used to have them on his Scorpio auto. he found that after heavy braking in motorway traffic the brakes would become ineffective after a while because they didnt have enough fresh air to cool down in time. As i say its a different class of car, but just a bit of advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom