Brake Hold Facility

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Benz 220d AMG Line Premium
I had a three car collision yesterday when approaching a queue at traffic lights. I was hit from behind and pushed forward to the car in front of me. I had applied the brake hold facility but the car still movedforward.
My question is was the impact frombehind likely to have disengagedthe hold facility?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I had a three car collision yesterday when approaching a queue at traffic lights. I was hit from behind and pushed forward to the car in front of me. I had applied the brake hold facility but the car still movedforward.
My question is was the impact frombehind likely to have disengagedthe hold facility?
Doubtful, could be that the impact was so severe it pushed you straight into the car in front even with the brakes on. Or that your foot got knocked into the pedal on initial impact that disconnected the brake hold.
As an aside with brake hold on your brake lights are illuminated so the car behind should have seen you’re brake lights.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
A few years back I attended a RTC in a marked police car about 100 yards after a humpback bridge. The car involved in the RTC was in the hedge, & there were still persons in the car. I left the police car in the road with the blue roof light on, to get those in the car out. While doing that two cars came over the humpback bridge & stopped behind my car. Then a third car came over the humpback bridge failed to stop in time & hit the rear of the second car. This in turn shunted into the first car, which then shunted into the police car.
I was amazed by the amount of damage caused, my police car was the only vehicle to be driven away from the scene.
So in answer to your question even with your brakes on you will still be pushed forward.

Bay Leaf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 350 R231 2013
Just a thought here. Does the hold facility just stop you from rolling back, so forward motion releases the hold eg when you put your foot on the throttle you move forward slightly which cancels out the hold. So a shunt up the rear would move the car forward and cancel the hold.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Just a thought here. Does the hold facility just stop you from rolling back, so forward motion releases the hold eg when you put your foot on the throttle you move forward slightly which cancels out the hold. So a shunt up the rear would move the car forward and cancel the hold.

On our SL the hold function holds the car whether on an up hill slope or down hill ;)

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Yes, the hold facility stops forward and reverse movement and is released when slight pressure is applied to the throttle.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
No it “Holds” the brake on and illuminates the brake lights.
The only way it would roll forward if you were shunted from the rear is if the impact was so strong as to move the whole car forward or if your foot was over the brake pedal and the impact knocked your foot into the pedal cancelling out the brake hold.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom