Brake issue?

CLK_200

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C209 2005 M271
Hi all.
Last few days I've been getting an intermittent judder from the rear nearside. I could drive all day as smooth as you like then other days it feels like the back axle is trying to shake itself from the chassis. I thought it was an unbalanced wheel/tyre or had a lump of mud or a stone stuck. Checked the rear nearside a short time ago and it has no movement to indicate a bearing or and stone or mud on the tyre. Confused I walked round the car to come in the house and caught a whiff of what can only be described as electrical burning. I had a gander at the offside rear wheel and it stinks. The wheel was hot as was the hub. I'm now thinking I have a brake issue, either the rear pads or handbrake. The car does judder a bit when forced to stamp on the stop pedal but I thought that would have been the fronts (which are drilled and grooved and in good nick). There appears to be a reasonable amount of friction pad left so they aren't down to the metal.

My question is, does the C209 suffer with sticking rear brake calipers or am I going to need to rip the whole offside to bits to track down an intermittent problem.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Hi , you have named yourself after my car model :p . Anyway , if the wheel and hub are really hot I would think it is either sticking brake pads or bearings , but I reckon the bearings would make a noise , have you checked the inner side of the disc and the inner pad , the inner pad can wear faster and on my clk there are no brake wear sensors on the rear pads ? Also is the brake fluid reservoir above the high mark ?
I would guess (and I'm not an expert by any means) is to take the rear pads out clean them regrease them with copper slip so they move in their channels and see if that works .
Maybe the footbrake pads inside the rear hub are not releasing correctly ?

Last edited:
OP
C

CLK_200

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C209 2005 M271
Couldn't think of any other usernames and I can't remember my original one and the email address it was tied to is long gone.

As for the car, I'll be stripping the rear brakes both sides and possibly renewing the pads and greasing the caliper guides. I can't check the inner pads as it's pitch black and I don't fancy it lol. It's a runabout and not driven everyday, just when I can't be bothered to walk so I have plenty of time to do the work. The handbrake works and releases fine so I'm convinced it's not that, just the pads being a pain in the butt.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
It's always harder in the winter , if it was a nice summers evening it would be pleasant . Good luck

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom