Broken Boot Lock

ninanina

Reaction score
A friend has broken my boot lock on my W124 saloon and i now cannot get into the boot

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for any help you can give

Regards
Bev

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Bev, is there part of the key stuck in the lock or how exactly did it break.

Dec

OP
N

ninanina

Reaction score
Hi Dec
No the key is not stuck in the lock

Somehow my friend managed to turn the lock through 90 degrees more than it should be turned and now it is stuck there

The central locking seems all fine but the mechanical lock is not

Hope this helps

Regards
Bev

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Flood the lock with WD40 or other penetrating oil by putting the straw into the keyhole as far as it will go and spray for a few seconds.
Repeat this every 10 minutes, occasionally working the key from side to side without undue force.

When flooding the lock, have the boot lid in the open position so as to allow the oil to drain down into all of the lock mechanism.

Its unlikely the lock has been broken, probably seized due to lack of lubrication and usage.
See also this W202 boot lock, different design from yours but will be similar to what is inside your lock.

Dec
Edit ; is the key twisted in any way?

Last edited:
OP
N

ninanina

Reaction score
Hi Dec

I thought WD40 was not good for car locks

I have some proper graphite powder which i have tried without success though

Bev

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
WD40 is not a lubricant but it is very good penetrating oil, that is what you need now.

I don’t think graphite powder is going to get much further past the lock barrel with all its levers and through to where it is needed, at the mechanism behind the barrel as described in Picture P, however a liquid oil will, provided the boot lid is in the open position so as it can drain downwards.

I have heard that WD40 isn’t good for car locks too but I don’t believe it, I think somebody was spraying a car lock with it, then took the lock apart, found all the corrosion/oxidization similar to the pictures and blamed it all on the WD40.

The brass levers will oxidize/rust so will the main part of the lock, which is an aluminum alloy, this will oxidize/rust too. The best prevention is a silicone spray that won’t dry out, used a couple of times a year and the usage of the key in the lock occasionally will keep every thing in order.

Dec

OP
N

ninanina

Reaction score
Hi Dec
Ive been spraying WD40 in the lock for a while now without success

Shall i just keep trying?

Thanks

Bev

OP
N

ninanina

Reaction score
Hi Dec

I have just freed up the lock and i am now in!!

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated

Regards

Bev

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Give it another good flooding with the boot lid open, the WD40 will dry out in about a week and will no longer act as a lubricant.
Get a spray can of silicon lubricant something like Holts Rubber & Nylon Lubricant and give it a dose of that, then 2 or 3 times a year, use the key occasionally too.

Dec

OP
N

ninanina

Reaction score
Thanks Dec

I will do that

Regards

Bev

steve berry

Reaction score
I have just had the same problem, couldn't access my boot. A good spray of wd40 every few mins and wiggling the key side to side, in and out helped free the mechanism. WD40 - thankyou!

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom