buying my first mercedes

dero

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e class 04 270
Hi

As a prospective new Mercedes owner I have a few questions,

I am looking to buy a 03/04 E Class E270 Saloon,diesel automatic, I have heard that MB had some problems in 2003/4 mainly electrical,is this correct?

Also,many people tell me not to take too much notice of high mileages as "they go on forever" but as I do about 20000 per year I am looking for a low mileage car,what would be considered a low mileage for the year?

Also has enyone had any experience of Independant garages in South Wales

Many thanks

Dero

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Hi

As a prospective new Mercedes owner I have a few questions,

I am looking to buy a 03/04 E Class E270 Saloon,diesel automatic, I have heard that MB had some problems in 2003/4 mainly electrical,is this correct?

Also,many people tell me not to take too much notice of high mileages as "they go on forever" but as I do about 20000 per year I am looking for a low mileage car,what would be considered a low mileage for the year?

Also has anyone had any experience of Independent garages in South Wales

Many thanks

Dero

Hello Dero and welcome to the Forum.

Your choice of car is spot on and should be an excellent buy. I agree that mileage is not a problem and my 03/04 W211 had no problems at all in 63,000 miles.

As you intend doing a decent mileage, you might be tempted to look for a low mileage car, but I would not worry about a car at 100,000 of that age as long as the service history was intact (with some dealer services to ensure that any upgrades had been done) and the condition was good.

That apart, the principal consumables will be tyres and it is worth noting from the history at what mileages it had brake pads/discs (tells you about the style of use and the thoroughness of the services).

There should be no rust (will be galvanized with nano paint) - check the alloys too as some of them are not performing too well on corrosion.

Since this car was introduced it has become the vogue to change the automatic transmission fluid at 40-48,000 (sources vary on the exact mileage) and it would be interesting to note whether that has been done.

Other than that, it should be a very reliable model with ample power and excellent fuel economy. Good hunting.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Other advice from Alex's is really to go for as new a one as your budget will allow. I'd sooner have a 2005 car with 100k on it than a 50k 2003 simply to ensure galvanised steel, upgraded electrics nano paint. The 270cdi is the one to have.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Other advice from Alex's is really to go for as new a one as your budget will allow. I'd sooner have a 2005 car with 100k on it than a 50k 2003 simply to ensure galvanised steel, upgraded electrics nano paint. The 270cdi is the one to have.

Yes on top of Alex post i would stretch it and go for one that st4 talks of, it is worth it for many reasons

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
I'd agree with all the above. Try to get something mid 04 on ideally as it reduces the likelihood of teething troubles. Mine is a late 04 and has basically been trouble free. The odd niggle (nothing's perfect) but nothing to scare someone off.
Bought mine at 12 months old and 17k. Now at 85k, she's smoother and more economical than when I got her so don't be scared of higher mileages. At 20k pa and say 4 years of use, I'd be happy with something that had 80-100k on the clock.

Corrosion shouldn't be an issue but my Dad's (2002 model) has suffered some issues on the aluminium wings and boot lid so whilst rare, early ones can suffer from tin worm. Mine, conversely, is mint.

If you do go for earlier - check out the Valeo issue and ensure its unnafected.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom