c180 fuel gauge fault?

G

gotmeamerc

i have a `96 c180 that has a sporadic fuel gauge fault.there are no common symptons ie turning.the gauge can read full,half full or even go off the clock,any suggestions please ?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
gotmeamerc said:
i have a `96 c180 that has a sporadic fuel gauge fault.there are no common symptons ie turning.the gauge can read full,half full or even go off the clock,any suggestions please ?
It sounds like the sender unit in the tank has gone parcial open circuit.Or poor contact on it.

Malcolm

OP
G

gotmeamerc

checked connections on both senders-no faults,could only get sender out of lh tank again no probs

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
I'd suspect the gauge itself. The senders are known to be problematic but, at least in my experience, they tend to stick at certain points and misread, so you don't go below 1/4 or, as in my case, up to full (fill to the brim and it read 3/4). The symptoms you describe sound more like the gauge - though this is really Malcolms area of expertise more than mine.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Always hard by remote control, As Jberks says could be gauge needle sticking, but then it should not go off the scale. could be tested by removing sender wire, with the wire off I think the gauge would read empty, grounded it would show full.

Malcolm

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom