C180 overheating

jon-h

Reaction score
:confused: I have a 1996 C180 Auto, the problem I have is that on prolonged tick-over or slow speeds, ie traffic jams, the water temperature rises and on one occasion has boiled. Is this a common problem, or do I have a problem? Car does not suffer from water loss or any other symptoms and is otherwise the perfect car for me. At present I put the heater on and open the windows. This can't be right! Does anyone have any ideas, or know of any kit available to convert to an electric fan?

Ian B Walker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300td
Cleaning out the radiator, bleeding the heater system, renewing the thermostat, simple things like that help. Have you checked that the fan kicks in when it gets hot. Try the carrot test. That is use a carrot to try to stop the fan when it is hot. If the fan stalls then you will need to either change the fan mech or check that the switch for the fan is working. If you get diced carrots then make a stew :mrgreen:

OP
J

jon-h

Reaction score
Ian, thanks for reply, sorry about delay.I am still in same state at the moment due to other committments and i am looking at a 99 c230 k sport.regards jon-h

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
this is a common problem, your radiator fan (most likely viscous coupling) is not working,

to test it when the car is warm, insert a carrot into the spinning blades, NOT YOUR FINGERS

if the blades stop, then you need to replace the viscous coupling (assuming its that type)

in other words, the oil chamber in the viscous coupling has emptied over time (leaked out) and now does not 'grasp' the fan to turn it at the correct speed, therefore the radiator is not cooled by the fan and your car overheats

i have the exact same problem on my C220 and have yet to fix it

search the forums here for more details

cheers
anyweb

kanda

Reaction score
jon-h said:
:confused: I have a 1996 C180 Auto, the problem I have is that on prolonged tick-over or slow speeds, ie traffic jams, the water temperature rises and on one occasion has boiled. Is this a common problem, or do I have a problem? Car does not suffer from water loss or any other symptoms and is otherwise the perfect car for me. At present I put the heater on and open the windows. This can't be right! Does anyone have any ideas, or know of any kit available to convert to an electric fan?

After checking the viscous fan,if it is working then check the thermostat, see if it is opening when engine is hot if not then replace it.
I had the same problem with my w124 yesterday and i replaced the thermostat and it is back to normal temperature now.

ecol

Reaction score
Good morning all ,I have just changed the coupling on my wifes c180 Elegance
which suffered the same symptoms and solved the problem ,the part was obtained from Eurocarparts

Eddie

OP
J

jon-h

Reaction score
c 180 overheating

Hi Eddie, what is involved changing the viscous coupling on the 180?.I have been quoted £80 from europarts, incl vat.Regards jon-h

ecol

Reaction score
That price sounds right ,it takes about thirty minutes with the correct spanner 36mm open end but i had to grind off either side of the spanner so that it would fit down between the coupling and the four protruding capscrews on the pulley ,I gave it one tap with a lump hammer and it freed it staight away and then unscrewed by hand ,you tap to the right on this nut, to slacken there is plenty of space with the right spanner ,fitting your new coupling is just the reverse ,but you do have to change the fan itself onto your new coupling before fitting.....Hope this helps

Regards

Eddie

OP
J

jon-h

Reaction score
c 180 overheating

Hi Eddie, thanks for your reply, will tackle soon ,regards jon-h

akz786

Reaction score
Hi

I am new this merc arena as I come from VW background, I have just got a 1996 c180 auto and same problem in crawling traffic it can run up 120 C! fan seems to run just at one constant speed from start up, so I assume from this thread and others I have the same problem?

what other factors apart from the above can cause overheating?

TIA

Jay Kilby

Reaction score
Website
www.flow-bus.co.uk
i have a 500sl. have dumped the viscouse set up for a modern electric item. this works a treat you can hear the fan cut in and out. other side effects 8% saving in fuel and an increase in power. the car is more responsive. not sure why merc did not use them in the first place??
you can even get a remote switch for those of you concerned about towing. all for less than £200. i have also done the same on my nissan navara.

just an idea

Top Bottom