c180 W202 - Key re-programming

davidduk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C190 W202 1996
Hi – I have a c180 W202 1996 Model (P Plate). My key has given up the ghost and will no longer lock / unlock the central locking system (it’s not the batteries – tried that). It's the type of key that has two buttons. The small one flips up the blade and the large one locks and unlocks the central locking system.

I don't have a spare key but fortunately I do have the flat pad device that I can use to lock / unlock the central locking system, so it is still driveable, although that pad is on the blink now too.

Basically I either need a new key or the one I have needs reprogramming. I’ve phoned just about every auto-locksmith in my area and nobody can help me. They all say they don’t have the software to programme a key for a Mercedes of this age (1996).

Q1 – Does anyone know an auto-locksmith who does have the necessary software, who I can drive to, within a reasonable driving distance from the Bournemouth area.

Q2 – I’d rather not have the automated locking system at all. Is there some way that the automated system can be deactivated / removed so that I can just get in the car (no central locking system) put the key in the ignition and the engine will go vrooom (the old fashioned way’)?

Thanks

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Mercedes or ReplacementMercedesKeys can probably sort this.
Beware some keys are no longer available.

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
Sounds like you have a pre facelift model. The key resync procedure is in the manual but it's something like put key in ignition, turn to position 2, press button, turn off and remove key then press button twice within 30 seconds. Exact procedure is on the forum somewhere l think or you could Google it. This fixed my central locking several times when l owned my first 202

OP
davidduk

davidduk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C190 W202 1996
Sounds like you have a pre facelift model. The key resync procedure is in the manual but it's something like put key in ignition, turn to position 2, press button, turn off and remove key then press button twice within 30 seconds. Exact procedure is on the forum somewhere l think or you could Google it. This fixed my central locking several times when l owned my first 202

Thank you. I'll check it out.

OP
davidduk

davidduk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C190 W202 1996
Here with an update…

Thank you to @grahamcol

I followed your tip re ‘resync procedure’ and I have got one key working (thank you very much)! Unfortunately no luck with a second key though using the same procedure.

There are brand new replacement batteries in the second key. I’ve tested them in the key that is now working and they work fine. When I press the button on the key that’s not working (to lock / unlock the central locking system), the red light in the key casing glows.

I’m thinking I may have damaged something, circuit board perhaps, when I opened the key casing to change the batteries because everything came apart / fell out. I guess I probably still need a key technician to repair / re-programme this key, unless anyone has any other suggestions?

At least I'm up and mobile again with one key.

Thanks

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Here with an update…

Thank you to @grahamcol

I followed your tip re ‘resync procedure’ and I have got one key working (thank you very much)! Unfortunately no luck with a second key though using the same procedure.

There are brand new replacement batteries in the second key. I’ve tested them in the key that is now working and they work fine. When I press the button on the key that’s not working (to lock / unlock the central locking system), the red light in the key casing glows.

I’m thinking I may have damaged something, circuit board perhaps, when I opened the key casing to change the batteries because everything came apart / fell out. I guess I probably still need a key technician to repair / re-programme this key, unless anyone has any other suggestions?

At least I'm up and mobile again with one key.

Thanks
Don't forget to get the spare key sorted, if you don't you will need it.

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
Glad you've sorted one key.
I was going to suggest looking at the red light on the other key. OK it glows which suggests the batteries are indeed OK. As you said you took it apart and bits came away then it would appear this key is broken unfortunately. I'm assuming here that this key is one of the original keys for the car and not one somebody has bought from ebay or another source. If it isn't an original key then it isn't going to work and this means a trip to the dealer with suitable id and around £250 to obtain a replacement (if still available) Alternatively the RMK place in Birmingham may be able to help and at a cheaper price.
Good luck.

OP
davidduk

davidduk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C190 W202 1996
Glad you've sorted one key.
I was going to suggest looking at the red light on the other key. OK it glows which suggests the batteries are indeed OK. As you said you took it apart and bits came away then it would appear this key is broken unfortunately. I'm assuming here that this key is one of the original keys for the car and not one somebody has bought from ebay or another source. If it isn't an original key then it isn't going to work and this means a trip to the dealer with suitable id and around £250 to obtain a replacement (if still available) Alternatively the RMK place in Birmingham may be able to help and at a cheaper price.
Good luck.

Sorry, only just seen this reply. I haven't managed to find a solution yet but I'm having another go now. Thanks for suggesting RMK. I've got several new local leads but if those fail I'll try RMK. Thanks again for your help @grahamcol !

OP
davidduk

davidduk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C190 W202 1996
I finally resolved this problem by getting a new key from the main dealership. It had to be sent from Germany which took about 10 days. Paid £206. Happy with that. Did try RMK in Birmingham but although they could help their price was substantially more and I'd have to do a 360 mile round trip. Thanks for everyone's help.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom