C200 CDI difficult to start

jprosa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C 200 CDI 2005
Hello
I own a C Class from 2005, sport wagon, C200 CDI
Some time ago, a problem come when starting the engine:starter starts to run, but stops suddenly, not starting the engine. Repeating starting process for 3 to 5 times, it finally runs OK and starts the engine.
Problem happens with both keys.
I went to Mercedes Benz service, they said that starting engine is OK and replaced a relay.
After some time, problem persists.
Battery is OK, cables seem to be and relays too.
Studying when happens, my conclusions are:
- When the car is under strong exterior sun and interior temperature raises, it will happen for sure, or after a trip without using air conditioner.
- If I'm travelling and using air conditioner, even if under strong temperature, usually don't happen, if the engine is re-started while the interior is still fresh.
Engine command unit is not the cause, they made a try to replace it and the problem persists.
So, I believe that the source of the problem may be at the car interior, as it works OK when the passenger compartment is still fresh.
The problem is increasing in frequency.
Any suggestion?
- ESI problem?
- Crankshaft sensor?
- ?
Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
Usually if EIS is causing trouble, it is better when warm and misbehaving in cold.

May be crank sensor, but there should be fault code left.

Is the fuel pressure checked during the start (should also leave a code is shut down because low pressure). CDI starting pressure problems are discussed widely on the forum.

OP
J

jprosa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C 200 CDI 2005
Usually if EIS is causing trouble, it is better when warm and misbehaving in cold.

May be crank sensor, but there should be fault code left.

Is the fuel pressure checked during the start (should also leave a code is shut down because low pressure). CDI starting pressure problems are discussed widely on the forum.

Thank you very much for your help.
There are no left codes, nothing is registered during this fault.
All checks are done, as far as I can see.
The high temperature that causes the problem is at the passenger compartment: yesterday, I traveled from Spain to Portugal.
At midday, exterior temp increased to 39 deg. Celsius. Using always air conditioner, I had no problems, even after some stops. But passenger compartment always remained fresh.
In another situation, even with less exterior temperature, 30 deg. Celsius, and the car parked under the sun, heating the passenger compartment, the problem had come again.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Does sound like a crank sensor issue. My 210 cdi had a slightly damaged ring gear, which caused the auto start to cut out halfway round sometimes.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
CPS looking to me

OP
J

jprosa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C 200 CDI 2005
Does sound like a crank sensor issue. My 210 cdi had a slightly damaged ring gear, which caused the auto start to cut out halfway round sometimes.

Hi, thanks for the answer. It was verified. And the problem appears when the passengers compartment is at high temperature.

OP
J

jprosa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C 200 CDI 2005
CPS looking to me

Hi, thanks for the answer.
But if was a problem of crankshaft sensor, electric starter shouldn't be working and the engine not starting?
What happens here is that the electric starter suddenly stops.

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
Hi, thanks for the answer.
But if was a problem of crankshaft sensor, electric starter shouldn't be working and the engine not starting?
What happens here is that the electric starter suddenly stops.

Crank shaft sensor is needed all the time. Now when signals is lost during the start (due to loosen tooth ring), it shut down engine. Cam shaft sensor is needed only in startup, it cranks but won't start. After start, sensor data is not needed and engine run ok even the sensor fails.

OP
J

jprosa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C 200 CDI 2005
It seems that the cause was at the ignition switch, after it's repair the problem seems to be gone. And last weekend was good to test, as temperatures where close to 40 deg. Celcius.
Let's hope that everything is now OK.
Thanks everybody.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom