C200 Leaking Sunroof !

jayb

Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a solution to stop my sunroof leaking please. The water appears to be coming in round about the centre of the trim on the edge closest to the interior light and sunroof controls. I have tried cleaning and brushing up the felt strip around the glass panel of the roof but this has not worked. If anyone has any ideas about how to remedy this problem or replace seals etc, please help, I'm sick of getting wet!

george shand

Banned
Reaction score
Are you sure the drain holes are clear , there are two each side, I managed to clear mine using wire cored clothes line and no leaks since .

george shand

Banned
Reaction score
Just thought i should have given more info about the sunroof drainage. The drains run through the A(windscreen) and C(rear window) pillars and drain out under the sills; you can feel the rubber drain terminals near the jacking pads. If you pour water into the drainage channel around the open sunroof ;careful it doesn't overflow!; the water should drain quickly onto the road ,garage floor, your feet. If not the drains are probably blocked.
In that case you will find the front drain holes tucked in the front corners of the drainage channel around the sunroof ,you need to push the wind deflector down to see them. As i said i used wire cored washing line to rod them clear ,but whatever you use don't push too hard if you find an obstruction as you dont want disconnect the internal drains. The rear drainage holes cannot be seen from above and i fed the rod up from the bottom although i don't think there was a problem with them as the front drains were blocked.
Hope this is of some help as it's embarrasing when nobody wants to sit in the front when it's raining for fear of getting wet.
Let us know how you get on .
George.

OP
J

jayb

Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed advice George, I'm away for a couple of days so I'll definitely give it a try when I get back and l'll let you know how I got on.

Cheers,
jayb

OP
J

jayb

Reaction score
George, I've put some plastic coated wire down the drain holes and everything seems fine (no blockages) but the sunroof is still letting in water!

There is a wet patch about 6 inches long in the centre of the rubber seal when you retract the roof.

I am assumimng from this that either the rubber seal has gone, or the seal around the outside of the glass has worn. I've tried cleaning the seal around the glass and brushing it up a bit but it still lets in water.

Does anyone know if I can buy replacement seals?
Cheers, Jay

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
hmm so you have a glass sunroof ?

is this an original mercedes fitted sunroof ? as the one on mine is metal and the same colour as my car

you could try taking off the rubber sealing and looking for any holes in it,

clean it thoroughly (or replace it) and apply silicon rubber glue to any cracks/holes you see, then refit after cleaning the mounting that it's attached to

cheers
anyweb

bigshineybike

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C320CDI W203, E300D estate 1996 multivalve, VW 1.9 auto, Triumph T509, Montesa Cota 348
Its Feb 2020 and my 2006 W203 is leaking through the glass roof. Googling it suggests the glass is coming away from the frame. In the USA there is the beginning of a recall for 750,000 cars.
So I went to inspect mine and sure enough if you press the glass from inside it lifts away from the frame.
Im going to cover the gap with tape until I can find out if Mercedes UK is likely to be any help?

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom