C200T Rear springs

M

marksman

Hi, the rear springs on my 1999 C200T (Estate) seem to have lost their tone and the rear sits a little low. The rear springs in an estate should be stronger than the saloon I thought, and it's difficult to see why it sits down like that. The bottom of the wheel-arch is level with the top of the tyre, there should be clearance. Mileage is 148,000 by the way - barely run in.

Anyone know where I can get hold of a set of beefy springs please? Sensible price would be a big plus! :p

Cheers

Will C
C200T Sport
190E Sportline

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Do you know if you have the hydropneumatic suspension, that could account for the rear being low and the adjustment arm has broken or a fault in the system

OP
M

marksman

Hi Malcolm, definitely the plain vanilla coil spring, no fancy stuff.

Will

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No such thing as beefy springs, fit the original and keep the car the same for all round good handling, they are easy to fit and not that expensive

OP
M

marksman

Au contraire Malcolm, I see that GSF do "heavy duty" rear springs, part no. M45472 for example. You would expect HD springs as it's an estate, and stiffer springs would be expected for a "Sport" spec car also.

MB unfortunately seem to have a lamentable history when it comes to making coil springs for suspensions. I've never seen so many "coil spring snapped" posts as I do on this site - so "use standard parts" seems to be questionable advice. But if you work for MB, I could see where you're coming from.

Anyway thanks for the info that they aren't hard to fit.

Will C

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Fair comment Will,,50% of our members use GSF so why not, you are right about the 203 that eats them for breakfast, the 202 though is not that heavy on springs.

I do not work for MB:D

OP
M

marksman

Just to close this one out perhaps, I see that GSF do heavy duty springs for post-'95 W202's with part number 511ME0520 at £50.54 each.

Will C

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Personally at that price of £50.54 for a non genuine spring, which are generic to the model rather than specific to the vehicle i think is expensive considering i have just ordered originol springs for my 202 AMG and they were £54 each for the rear and £51 each for the front.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom