C220 CDI Classic Turbo problem

OP
Lerpy

Lerpy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz C220 CDI Classic
Update so far.

Replaced the MAF and that made a difference. The turbo worked fine when the engine was hot but only for an indertiminate short period. Decided to bite the bullet and went to indie MB repairer and had the analyser go over it. Lots of small faults in memory and as well as MAF problem there's a fault on the motorised valve on the inlet manifold. Still waiting to hear what the damage will be for that one.

Interestingly I found out from BOSCH themselves that they don't make the MAF for my model!!!! Goodness knows who does, but more interestingly, the after-mafr part was £64.00 plus VAT, and not available for 24 hours, the MB original part was £59.31 INCL VAT and off the shelf.

Does anyone know what the proper name for the motorised valve is so I can look up a price on the NET??

OP
Lerpy

Lerpy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks very much for your invaluable help

OP
Lerpy

Lerpy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just thought I'd update the situation.

When the garage MOT'd the car and couldn't get the turbo to work continuously they also said that as the car had been stood outside for 15 months, maybe all that was needed was for the engine to do some miles and everything would free up.

Having had the Inlet Port Shut Off Motor diagnosed as a problem I decided I had to wait to get the repair done as the bill was likely to be a bit steep.

I've now done about 1000 miles since the MOT and low and behold the turbo works all the time!!!

Hopefully this will be a permanent fix, but who knows with a high mileage car?

dervmerc

Reaction score
If it has been stood something will be stuck, not broken. Do not panic - I bet good money that it will be something simple and stupid, and I would be amazed if a new torbo was needed (unless it was shot before it was laid up). As far as I know (and I could be wrong) turbos work all of the time - and the control systems are there to stop it working not make it go - in your case a wastgate. Either that is sticking or the actuating solenoids are sticking. Have you let it idle for a long time and let it get lovely and warm, raising the revs gently every so often to encourage a little movement in the bits and bobs?

Alternatively (and no real help I know) you could take the view that only two items are required in a toolkit. Duck tape and WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duck tape. If it doesn't move and it should - WD40.

WD40 a product that has survived the test of time. Maybe the "40" which stands for the number of attempts at finding the right formula for this "water Displacement" product is why....

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom