c220 cdi key problems

vincec200cdi

Reaction score
Hi Guys
after owning a couple of 190 e,s now have big mileage c220 cdi sc
my problem is I cannot get the little bitch to start. I can open doors , listen to the radio but turn the key....nothing..by changing the batteries in the key fob
do you think it will change anything...the starting regime for the past month has been unlock car put key in lock 5 times and eventually after a lot of churning
bursts into life..alternative is put on trailer and asked main stealers to rifle wallet
any ideas..
mileage now 145,000 but stil getting at best 59 mpg at worst 32..
any ideas
many thanks what a brilliant forum

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The chances are that it needs a new switch, put a voltmeter onto the small wire on the starter,if no voltage should be the switch. I take it the the ignition lamps are not comming on as well

OP
V

vincec200cdi

Reaction score
Hi Malcoln
many thanks for the response.
the ignition lamps light up. in fact every ****** thing lights up..but turn the key
nada, nothing. can not work it out. ok am originally from Manchester and obviosly thick
but cannot for the life of me work this one out...intention fix car flog it and buy old merc
with no computer and big key.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Malcoln
many thanks for the response.
the ignition lamps light up. in fact every ****** thing lights up..but turn the key
nada, nothing. can not work it out. ok am originally from Manchester and obviosly thick
but cannot for the life of me work this one out...intention fix car flog it and buy old merc
with no computer and big key.

If the alarm was part set,this could isolate the starter, with whats known as starter lock out.

What are the first six NIN numbers 210---

OP
V

vincec200cdi

Reaction score
Hi Malcolm.,
sorry for the delay in responding.
wdb 203706 2a 286757 6
iis the chassis no
how olds your SL btw....lurvley things...
regards
vgn

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Have I got this right. The key works just fine, It goes in, the relevant clicks occur and the engine spins but doesn't fire?
In that case, good news, nothing to do with the key or electronics I suspect.

A common problem with diesels starting is air in the fuel system. The O rings on the filter don't always seal properly and you get an air bubble in. You then have to 'spin' the bubble through the system.
Check/change the seals cheap and simple job and she'll probably fire up first turn.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I do not think that this one is going to be easy.

Does the rev counter needle move when you try and engage the starter, there is one listed for that. But that is for more intermittent operation.

Your starter is interlocked with many other circuits in the car including the electronic gear shift module.

I would try and disconnect battery for 10 mins to see if anything re sets you have nothing to lose at this stage.
I think that your car only has one battery.

There will be a fault code logged and these will have to be read out if this fails.
Cant see any other way

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom