c220cdi auto gearbox problem 2nd & reverse only

card108

Reaction score
the gearbox on my c220cdi won't go higher than 2nd gear, I can get reverse and park Ok. I took it to a garage who said it was a oiled switch on the gearbox but they couldn't do it and I would have to take it to the main agent. I have an extended warranty on the car which only allows £40 labour, iknow I will have to pay extra but the main aget s are a lot more expensive on labour. Could it be this switch or is it something major, I love this car and wouldn't want to get rid of it. the mileage on the car is 36,000. I hope someone can help

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Helo and welcome.

This could be the speed sensor plate that most indies change for around £300 all in

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
if the garage diagnosed an 'oiled' switch then it is more likely to be oil contamination in the gearbox ecu, this is a relatively easy fix, and you will only need a new seal for the gearbox electrical connection.. Try finding a merc indie near you..

OP
C

card108

Reaction score
thank you for your help

It's worrying when you don't know much about cars and it's guys like you that help so much. I am taking it to another garage and now know I won't have to re-mortgage my house to get it sorted out. I bought a Merc for reliability and build quality I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. Many thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
It's worrying when you don't know much about cars and it's guys like you that help so much. I am taking it to another garage and now know I won't have to re-mortgage my house to get it sorted out. I bought a Merc for reliability and build quality I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. Many thanks

This can happen to anything, I hope that where you are taking it have STAR

Top Bottom