C32 front brakes on an SLK32

dan f

Reaction score
Hi.
Does anyone know if these items are interchangable, or indeed 'retrofittable', if not a direct swap?
I prefer the look of the C32 front brakes, and wonder why they didn't put the same discs and calipers on the SLK.
Anyone have any ideas?
Cheers all,
Dan.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Interestingly I have been thinking about putting C32 calipers and discs on my SLK. I may get around to trying this out at the weekend. Obviously the calipers are mounted on the other side of the disc. (leading edge on the SLK, trailing edge on C32). This won't be a problem as you just swap them side to side, but I will check if the mounting holes match up and come back to you.

OP
dan f

dan f

Reaction score
That is probably the (second) best answer one could hope for. :D
I look forward to your answer with great interest.
If you could let me know what extra parts are needed (if any) that would be great too!
Cheers uncle Benz!!
Dan.

OP
dan f

dan f

Reaction score
Hi Uncle Benz.
Any news on the brakes? :)

Cheers,
Dan.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Sorry Dan, my time has been taken up with another annoying fault on my C32. It seems the alternator has a bearing that has failed and makes a bad noise. Unfortunately I replaced the water pump and supercharger idler pulleys first before finally deciding it is the alternator at fault. Damn cars!! This has left swapping the brakes over as a low priority at the mo, but I will get round to it and let you known a soon as I can. Sorry!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hi uncle, I am so sorry that you are loosing your bearings and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Malcolm

OP
dan f

dan f

Reaction score
Sorry Dan, my time has been taken up with another annoying fault on my C32. It seems the alternator has a bearing that has failed and makes a bad noise. Unfortunately I replaced the water pump and supercharger idler pulleys first before finally deciding it is the alternator at fault. Damn cars!! This has left swapping the brakes over as a low priority at the mo, but I will get round to it and let you known a soon as I can. Sorry!!

Hi.
No probs, thanks for the reply.
I just look forward to your findings.
Hope you get everything sorted OK.
Cheers,
Dan.

OP
dan f

dan f

Reaction score
Hi Uncle Benz.

Any updates on the brakes?

Are there any upgrade kits around from UK dealers that I could use an alternative if the C32 calipers don't fit? :)

Cheers,
Dan.

OP
dan f

dan f

Reaction score
If anyone else has tried this or has any info I am all ears. :)

I can't be the only one in the world who has thought about this surely?

:p

Later.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
You sure pick your moments to remind me!! I'm a bit preoccupied with purchasing a new ML. Will have a look on saturday and report back - promise!!

OP
dan f

dan f

Reaction score
Yay. :D

Cheers ears!!

Not hopeful, but it will be cool if they do. :)

Later.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Well, they do fit!!

merc0091.jpg

Fitted straight on!! The disc retaining screw is in the the wrong place, but the backplate fits around the caliper no probs. I was worried about clearance for the anti-roll bar on the lock, but there is loads of room. Sadly, I broke off the bleed nipple on one caliper, so have only fitted one side and not driven it, but I don't forsee any probs. Did a rough in-my-head calculation, and I am sure the master cylinder will have enough headroom to accomodate the small amount of extra fluid required.

The slk brake hose fits in just the right place, but obviously the rh c32 caliper goes on the lh side of the slk.

The only surprise I had was that the wheel fouled the caliper face. My car has the AMG 5 spoke on it, but the C32 wheel cleared easily.

merc0071.jpg

The standard fare...

merc0041.jpg

Last edited:

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Just to add a little bit, if you want to do this job you will need:

1 pair C32 calipers.
4 caliper mounting bolts - they are longer than the SLK ones
1 pair of C32 discs - they are not 'handed', both discs are the same.
1 set front pads and fitting kit
Brake fluid

and that is about it!!

Be aware that 17" wheels are required, and that clearance may be an issue. As far as I am aware, the SLK32 was fitted with the same wheel as the C32, but my 17" AMG 5 spokes did not clear, as you can see.

OP
dan f

dan f

Reaction score
Hi Uncle Benz.

Wow, thanks for the sterling effort and indeed result! :) Fantastic.

That is great news and now I have a list of things I need I can go ahead as soon as I get all the parts necessary.

I have AMG 5 spoke 18" wheels so they should clear the calipers no problem I assume. Is that correct?

Superb! Thanks again and for the great pictures too. :cool: :D

Many Thanks,
Dan.

OP
dan f

dan f

Reaction score
Hi Uncle Benz.

One more thing, you fitted the C32 brakes to a non AMG SLK by the looks of it.
The SLK 32 has different brakes again from those on the C32 and other SLK's, so do you think the C32 brakes will be OK on an SLK 32 using the standard carriers etc?

Cheers,
Dan.

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
The ballance of the braking system may be badly affected by using different calipers.
Ensure that the replacement calipers have the same piston diameter and that the effective disk radius is the same before you try to swop the brakes and then drive the car.
Looking nice is not a valid excuse for making a car more dangerous than it already is.

Last edited:
OP
dan f

dan f

Reaction score
Hi.
Indeed.
However, as the SLK32 and C32 have essentially the same braking systems, I cannot see that being to much of a problem, but I still wonder why they used the drilled rotors and monikered calipers on the front of the C32 and not the SLK 32??

Also, what difference does it make as to where the calipers are located?
i.e C32 = trailing edge position, SLK32 = leading edge position.

Cheers,
Dan.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
The ballance of the braking system may be badly affected by using different calipers.
Ensure that the replacement calipers have the same piston diameter and that the effective disk radius is the same before you try to swop the brakes and then drive the car.
Looking nice is not a valid excuse for making a car more dangerous than it already is.

There is a whole industry dedicated to supplying larger discs/multi piston calipers for fast road and track use. One of the most important considerations when improving the performance of the front brakes, is that the effort of the rear brakes may need to be reduced to prevent rear wheel lock up, caused by weight transfer to the front of the car by the new set up. In the case of the SLK32, I believe that the adoption of the C32 set-up is more of a cosmetic improvement than a performance related one. If track performance is what you require, AP Racing and Stop-Tech produce some amazing products. I have fitted both before for customers, and the results are excellent.

It is of course possible to 'overbrake' a car, but this is rarely a problem on todays heavy road cars - more an issue on stripped out lightweight competition cars.

Last edited:

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Also, what difference does it make as to where the calipers are located?
i.e C32 = trailing edge position, SLK32 = leading edge position.

Cheers,
Dan.

This will not be an issue. All the pistons are of the same diameter (some four pot calipers run a smaller diameter piston on the leading pair). The only thing to flip, is the shim that goes between the pistons and the back of the pad, but it has an arrow on it to guide you anyway!

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom