Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Interesting to see all the same hosts!

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Can't believe she voted for the M5! o_O

She likes to think of herself as a racing driver, so she'll lose face if she doesn't choose the M car. Many, many years ago we used to prepare a Caterham academy car for a very nice chap whose surname was Aylott. Sadly his Christian name escapes me after thirty odd years... Anyway, he was racing against VBH in the same series. I'm happy to report our boy beat her regularly on the race track. :)

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
Now I know that this thread's not strictly about the actual programme itself but it was a bit dire wasn't it.

I think the Alfa v C63 was always going to be a foregone conclusion, especially with the "tests" they designed for them, and the circuit laps seemed more to be comparing drivers than cars.

Ronnie O'Sullivan. Not sure what he added, apart from the "chirpy cockney" bit. The D7 looks interesting though, I've always liked Citroen for some obscure reason, probably going back to the Traction Avant days...

Like the Jonny Smith piece on the new taxi. Some thought went into that and at least he is a genuine journalist.

As for the affordable car piece, which this thread is about, I also assumed from the start that the M5 would win as far as VBH was concerned. I know which I'd prefer but there again I am still on this forum. :)

I don't think I'll be watching many more episodes to be honest, I just found it cringe-worthy for the best part.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
Now I know that this thread's not strictly about the actual programme itself but it was a bit dire wasn't it.

I think the Alfa v C63 was always going to be a foregone conclusion, especially with the "tests" they designed for them, and the circuit laps seemed more to be comparing drivers than cars.

Ronnie O'Sullivan. Not sure what he added, apart from the "chirpy cockney" bit. The D7 looks interesting though, I've always liked Citroen for some obscure reason, probably going back to the Traction Avant days...

Like the Jonny Smith piece on the new taxi. Some thought went into that and at least he is a genuine journalist.

As for the affordable car piece, which this thread is about, I also assumed from the start that the M5 would win as far as VBH was concerned. I know which I'd prefer but there again I am still on this forum. :)

I don't think I'll be watching many more episodes to be honest, I just found it cringe-worthy for the best part.

Good points. Some of it did feel like they were trying to recreate the "Top Gear" feel with all the banter, I've never really watched this program before, so I've no idea what it was like in the past.
The MB vs Alfa test was odd, didn't see the point of the drift test. Ronnie didn't offer anything, apart from bringing a celeb to the screen. The Taxi part was interesting.

Affordable car piece, it should have been inclusive of purchase price and running costs, then the M5 loses out everytime, 16
mpg at best :rolleyes:

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's

Jonny has a youtube channel where he reviews electric vehicles etc with Robert Llewellyn and it is a good watch.

I do feel the rest of them are just messing about on TV though, not bad to have on in the background, but wont go out of my way to watch it, like you say.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP

I don't think I'll be watching anymore either,

Nice to see the E55, the piece on the Scooby was dire, their idea of measuring the gains was a hand held laser thermometer pointed at the top f the engine and then at the air intake in the bumper. Have they not heard of dynos? A rolling road dyno run before and after would have given some real numbers to what Jimmy had been doing. I felt that bt was a bit "Wheeler Dealers" but failed for me.

Didn't see the point in the Alfa / C63s test myself, I'm more into real world driving.

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
Nice to see the E55, the piece on the Scooby was dire, their idea of measuring the gains was a hand held laser thermometer pointed at the top f the engine and then at the air intake in the bumper. Have they not heard of dynos? A rolling road dyno run before and after would have given some real numbers to what Jimmy had been doing. I felt that bt was a bit "Wheeler Dealers" but failed for me.

Forgot about the Jimmy DeVille thing, that's how interested I must have been. Never particularly been a fan though, especially after that series he did where everything was bodged. Love the way they showed all the hose fitting and stuff on the Scooby in detail and then, almost as an afterthought, "Oh, and the front bumper needs a bit of trimming." Attacking it with a multi-tool is not my idea of how to get a decent finish though, of course, we weren't shown the end result...

As for the laser thermometer, I'm just disappointed now on how much money I wasted on Dyno runs with my last car. Over 40 at the last count. I could have bought one of these for £20 and saved a fortune. :D

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
Forgot about the Jimmy DeVille thing, that's how interested I must have been. Never particularly been a fan though, especially after that series he did where everything was bodged. Love the way they showed all the hose fitting and stuff on the Scooby in detail and then, almost as an afterthought, "Oh, and the front bumper needs a bit of trimming." Attacking it with a multi-tool is not my idea of how to get a decent finish though, of course, we weren't shown the end result...

As for the laser thermometer, I'm just disappointed now on how much money I wasted on Dyno runs with my last car. Over 40 at the last count. I could have bought one of these for £20 and saved a fortune. :D
Didn't they hypothetically gain 40bhp from this new intercooler? o_O.
Yeah, the bumper trim made me laugh, something that you did to fit extra air intake pipes when working on a cheap Astra!

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
As it appears threads from before March of this year are no longer searchable, I wanted to add something to an old thread I made last year but find it impossible to find now.I believe its a bad mistake not to have fixed this already.

Some may remember seeing it featuring my E55 up against an M5 and an RS6 of the same age on Fifth Gear last June (18)

I have taken the liberty of copying the same thread from the other side to bring it up to date and show the YouTube clip made of the comparison.

I had to smile reading the comments below the video. Very hard on the M5.
Have a look for yourself.

https://forums.mbclub.co.uk/threads/firth-gear-filming-your-e55.238084/

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Found it and put the threads together for you

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom