Cambelt Change

johno2004

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK32 AMG
Hi,

Would just like some advice on cambelt change on my van.

It was changed on 28/01/11 on a mileage of 196k on my service last Friday they gave me an advisory that it should be changed again as i am now on 298k and they said it should be changed every 55k.

Now since it was changed 20 months ago i have had van serviced 6 times and this was 1st advisory yet they said it needs changing every 55k.

Does the cambelt need changing every 55k or is it based on time aswell like spark plugs eg. 4 years or 50k which ever comes first ?

What would your opinion be as i dont want to waste money having the cambelt changed every 6 to 8 months based on mileage if it will last 4 years or so regardless of mileage, but on the other hand i dont want to trash engine for not doing it.

All advice welcome.

Thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
All Mercedes have timing chains :confused::confused:

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Dont think he is talking about a merc, he said it was changed in 2011 Malc, would help if we new the make/model i guess???

OP
J

johno2004

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK32 AMG
All Mercedes have timing chains :confused::confused:

Sorry my vans not a Mercedes it's an Iveco daily lwb 35s12 i was just asking for general advice and opinions

Thanks

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
My V70R has the belt changed every 75k miles,,,lots of damage if it breaks

paul hayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
all MB sold..V70R now ;-)
My V70R has the belt changed every 75k miles,,,lots of damage if it breaks

i can vouch for that too:(...our works van destroyed itself on 58k...although the cam belt didnt just simply break:rolleyes:..one thing broke then another then..... BOOM:lol:

£1600 quid later all fixed..but had to sell the van to pay my mum back for the repair bill:Oops::lol:...it was a solution to the problem though:D

Last edited:

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
I would ask an Iveco dealer what the recommended change point is, rather than a Mercedes forum.

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
it's usually not just the belt that is a concern, but the belt tensioner and also
the coolant pump that is often driven by the belt.

So three components to fail. The tensioner or pump seizing will cause the belt to wear through.

It is especially important if the vehicle is used for stop start, when the greatest
stress is imposed on the belt.

So, I would say it needs doing, or buy a new vehicle.

Which is better value for you ?

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Looks like they've slipped up.
Does the servicing manual not tell you what needs doing and when?
Having a belt changed is a lot cheaper than having a new engine fitted.

Silver_Star

Reaction score
Rural Leicestershire near where Pork Pies and Stil
Your Mercedes
W203.006, S211.208 Land Rover 90
As above, it should be in your handbook. I will have a look on my auto data later though....do you have the year of the Van? Intervals vary, some fords are 10yr/100k whichever comes sooner.

If they go it isn't fun. I had to fix an Astra for my other half after she diddn't get the belt changed when I told her to get it done. Trouble is modern engines are all interference engines so at best you will have bent valves it lets go.

OP
J

johno2004

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK32 AMG
Well according to my copy of Autodata, Iveco recommend it is changed at an interval of 55,800 miles for the 2.8D engine.

Thanks for that mine is the 2.3 engine on a 55 plate, My original question was does the cam belt have a time limit aswell as mileage as the belt would not become perished in 6 months as thats the time it takes me to do 55k so my question was is the belt likely to break due to the 55k or due to it perishing with age. The average car lets say does 10k a year so on a 55k cycle it would last 51/2 years in my case i would have covered 275k so on that basis it would snap due to both mileage and it perishing with age. but with 55k in 6 months surely the belt should last longer than that. Indeed it has as i have done 102k in last 20 months since last done.

Its by the by now anyway as i have booked it in for Monday to have it done anyway.

Its just that i bet a lot of people that do their own servicing and high mileage would not give the cambelt a second thought every 6 months.

Thaks for comments anywway

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
The short answer is yes, they will age with time as well as mileage.

However, so do tyres, and to follow the analogy through, if your timing belt were a tyre there would be no tread left and the chords showing - not really worth risking any further is it?
So good call getting it done now, money well spent.

Last edited:

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Agree whole heartedly.
They perish with age and wear out with use.
Would you keep your oil change and servicing to annual intervals, because that's what works for the average motorist or miss one because you only had the oil changed 6 weeks ago, even though you've now covered 12,000 miles?

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom