Can I use Unleaded or super unleaded fuel?

ikohlinsky

Reaction score
I have a Nov 1987 500SEL. Can I use unleaded petrol or super unleaded petrol in it without problem/damage for ordinary (not high perf) driving? I have used leaded then LRP in the car before, although maybe it could always have run on unleaded - the previous owner wasn't sure and i didn't have a manual. LRP seems to have disappeared literally overnight in my area (South Wales) If the 1987 500SEL can use Unleaded..does it need to be super unleaded? my e-mail is ikohlinsky@hotmail.com
Many thanks
Ivan Kohlinsky

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
I think so

Ivan, I was reading up on the Merc 5litre V8, and noticed that they could use u/l ok, certainly from your vehicle's year of manufacture. If you are worried, you can always put a Broquet fuel catalyst in your tank. I had one in my old (leaded-only) BMW, and it worked fine. It also has other benefits, such as smoother running, better mpg etc. It would probably pay for itself in a year if you do average mileage of about 12,000. Look them up on the web.

OP
I

ikohlinsky

Reaction score
Thank u - but is there any benfit from using Super Unleaded

Thank you Myros,
I use the vehicle for less that 3000 miles p.a so I probably wouldn't think about the fuel tank catalyst. But should I use Super Unleaded in preference to standard Unleaded? Has anyone got mpg experience of using one v the other for the 500SEL or similar?

webby

Reaction score
Hi there,

I used to have a 1989 300SE and that used to run on unleaded fuel with no problems.

I now have a 1990 500SL (German Import) and that specifies that you should use super unleaded, I guess your car should be similar....I hope this helps

Webby

pascal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl320/1999/3.2
Iko,

Your engine is a M117.963 5litre V8, is that correct. As far as I know the valve seats were hard enough to take unleaded, as this engine was fitted with a cat in the US.

As regards the RON, nearly all pre-modern mbs can be run on fuel with 95Ron fuel. Some have an 'EZL' ignition adjuster, some have an anti knock control that automaticly adjusts to the fuel used. Some of the older 4 cy were had to be adjusted by MB.

Webby
I'm surprised to hear that your Manual says that you can only use 98ron, an engine fitted from 89-98 on SLs, as I was pretty sure other members use 95RON in their SL500s

webby

Reaction score
Hi Pascal,

I'm sure the 500SL could run on 95Ron with no problems, I don't have a manual so I have no idea what it says in there, however the sticker on the inside of the fuel filler car specifies super which is what 98Ron unleaded is sold as in Continenal Europe (as i said the car is a German import).

Has anyone else out there got an early 90s 129 500SL?
If so what does the book say?.....I'm begining to wonder if I've been wasting my hard earned cash for the last year!

pascal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl320/1999/3.2
My manual is for the new 5L engine, M113 (I think its called). Over 95RON for them all. A few of the lads here have earlier R129 SL500s with the M119. Get them to look up their manuals.

Pascal

neilairman

Reaction score
fuel

not that many cars i know use supa, its usualy for sports stuff.
perhaps older motors that needed 98lrp or 4star.
basically if you needed to run your car on 98 lead youd have to buy supa
and get an addertive ( very expensive option ).
the simple answer is to go to a merc dealer with your chassis no.
and your engine no. and they would be able to tell you.

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
my german is a german german

My C280 is also a german import, and my fuel flap says super (98), consult handbook for Premium(95) The handbook, in german, says you can drive on premium, but don't hammer it. This despite knock-sensors and more computing power than NASA's first moonshot. That's why I have the fuel catalyst fitted. It did a good job in my old Beemer, and I can drive anything but old chip fat in the C280 w/o worrying. The effects are premium feels like super, and super feels like hi-test.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom