Can someine explain how allt this communicates with each other.

Deadeye-Detailing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 CDI
So. The DAB was working fine and i even managed to get my phone working thanks to forum help. For the past 2 days it just says please wait.

Today i drove from manchester to preston (35 mins)turned car off. Then to Blackburn (20 mins), switched car off. All this time it just said please wait.

I then drove from Blackburn to Warrington (40 mins) and just as i was pulling up it came on!
I had to turn the car off but took the opeertunity to swap radio stations. I then started back up and it was off again, about 35 mins later it came back on. Its been off for the rest lf my running about.

Whle it says please wait i cant use my phone, the sat nav works but i dont get audio.

How does all this communicate and work?

I thono you may of gathered by now im chucking money at this car. Im gonna make it mint! I love it even though i had to put yet another coil pack on and it threw a propper wobbler at some point, put all sorts on and even switched off the power steering!

Ill show you all the fault coads just from today (for anyone interested) and also the screen i get on the radio.

Get ready gor new fault coads tomorrow!

Screenshot_20210331-185824_Gallery.jpg 20210331_165304.jpg 20210331_165310.jpg

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
my snap on kit with current software can't communicate with any comand, tuner, dab, TV, nav, phone modules in my W221

using other kit you can tell what module its got....

mine has the one on the left, I tried the one on the right it plays up in a similar way to how you say.... It would be interesting to know which module you have... these are separate tuners that sit in the boot behind the left rear wheel

index.php

if you have the one on the right it needs a software update...

OP
D

Deadeye-Detailing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 CDI
my snap on kit with current software can't communicate with any comand, tuner, dab, TV, nav, phone modules in my W221

using other kit you can tell what module its got....

mine has the one on the left, I tried the one on the right it plays up in a similar way to how you say.... It would be interesting to know which module you have... these are separate tuners that sit in the boot behind the left rear wheel

index.php

if you have the one on the right it needs a software update...
Thanks botus ill try and see what i have if i can get plugged in anywhere tomorrow. What exactly am i telling them to look for? As in what settings do they go into

Last edited:

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
…. as a mentioned, seems snap-on whilst they can do some deep level playing for essential stuff, never got round to supporting any entertainment stuff. I had a nag 6 months ago about it... and told them £400 quid kit can talk and clear faults on ANY 221 module (up to 63 on high spec ones) yet their 4k bit of snap-on kit can only find and talk to 43.... and as the software updates are £1200 each year that's pathetic !

I fully expect they did nothing, with find out soon 21.1 due out in April

the kit you have plugs in to a socket that's under the steering column (in the footwell), there's a fold down flap near the light there... plug in the tool, it turns itself on, turn the ignition on (get the lights off and the heater fans off) you get about 15mins before the battery gives up, depending what you are doing you shouldn't have the engine running. Some systems will get upset if you do. Then on the tool, select the make and year and agree to the chassis number it finds, and which side the steering wheel is on.... then you can scan everything but it will find nothing they don't do entertainment stuff. Its very likely you'll get a massive list of other things that will make you pull your hair out..... they make up fake faults all day long.... and have plenty of real ones too.

if you are going to an independent garage they need online connection to Merc to update any software.... they should know exactly what to do and how, if they don't know about updates to the DAB system don't go there.....

that said there is allegedly NO update on the earlier DAB tuner....
so first step is which one does it have? if the one on the right of my pictures above, then an update is required

your clock needs fixing too.... mine did it correct Day light saving update last week.... BUT only when you apply the satellites changed date - patch.... you can do this yourself inside 10 mins

FYI the last doc is incorrect the time of arrival is wrong until you apply the patch

Attachments

• W221-11-Jan-2020-Clock Fix LI82.85-P-069468_Ver_2.pdf
    43.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
As I said in my PM,

if you get a noise at times out of the DAB system its software or antenna NOTHING else

Last edited:

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Re the clock:

dealers all thought it was unfixable, Germany didn't care on such an old car, and just wrote some crap about a reset procedure using dealer diagnostics. Which is utter drivel as the car is muddled after April 2019 WNRO event where all satellites rolled the date back to year 1 (in a std 19 year cycle) so some Merc fan boy and IT guru in the states hacked a comand unit update CD, worked out what was wrong and re wrote just the nav / clock software.

As its a real Merc update cd structure, the car doesn't know better and installs it. He did what was required in software months before, but although he could see the comand has a secret engineering menu - he could understand how to reach it... that took months and he was the first to tell anyone worldwide how to get to that menu on the w221 …. 15 years after the cars first came out !!!

you'll find the cd file in this thread..

I suspect in the end some contacts at Merc got him to the menu, after a few thousand people all reported it as working, Merc took on his software patch as official - hence they released an official fix 11 Jan 2020, see the pdf in my post above. The file Merc now use is exactly the same as the one you can do yourself. Trouble is no dealer reads that pdf document - they all switched off and gave up after the earlier TIPS doc 20 March 2019 with some massive list of lies and rubbish that took an hour and just had all the customers back moaning, straight after the next daylight saving event happens

z clock.jpg

Last edited:

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
the author then said months later a few cars that don't seem to accept the update all seem to have the comand telematics system software way out of date....

whilst it was a worldwide patch for cars running the NTG3.0 system (2005 to 2009) those car's without the birds eye update may refuse to install the software.... that big update from 2008, needs careful nursemaid dealer tool instigated update that few independent garages are brave enough to tackle.

OP
D

Deadeye-Detailing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 CDI
Well car is in on tesday to be plugged into star. Tbf i think ill end up giving it back. Lost my love for it now.

Glasgow and back with no reception just please wait the whole way there and back. Thats 7 hours!

Also what ever the vibration is, so far ive done 2 coils, intake gaskets, plugs, breather.

Its now thowing up ABS AND ESP unavalable and twice power steering has gone but then come back on. THIS only started the other day when i stopped and turned off the car i saw white smoke coming from the front fright f the engine bay, i actually thought i was on fire! Very thin. No idea what it was but its not done it since.

Just as i pulled back in to home tonight engine managemant light came on, catalitic convertor bank 2 not with in parameter.

I think whats causeing the ABS and ESP is the front right wheel speed sensor and as soon as i go over 10 mph i get parktronic, distronic, night vision etc blt avalable. Switch off and if i turn back on all works fine even nigh view untill i go over 10 mph.

Im kind of makjng a list here for my self to remind me at the specalist!

Oh and the rear view camera is intermittent

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
The OP explained the real HiFi issue is no sound ! rather than weak reception. Which points to an AMP fault rather than the DAB playing up. FYI don't persist using the DAB although the £700 DAB module is actually good quality, FM is still the better option. And would have given the right steer on the original HIFi issues the car has

ABS fun
ABS sensors need replacing at 9 to 12 years like clock work on the W221
On another forum they were discussing a real ABS fault, that's quite perversely far less prevalent on a Mercedes than it should be... I'd just written this:

the fault this post describes is the exact fault you get on any brand of car if it has ESP...

first they tried the special corrode to time gunge on one of the link wires from the multiplug to the circuit board..... that lasted a bit too long and by the time they realised this, they had already moved on to the far more reliable die at 7 years trick that's so prevalent on a BMW... they just invented sticky brushes on the ESP pump motor...

its why whacking the pump motor works for a few months.... they deliberately make the brush guides too tight at the factory and after a few years of carbon dust they start too stick... the big fix is to replace the brush pack with a better quality ford part.

OP
D

Deadeye-Detailing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 CDI
Yeh FM just goved me a blank screen.

Looking at amps now.

Both for 221 bit both look so different!

OP
D

Deadeye-Detailing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 CDI
The OP explained the real HiFi issue is no sound ! rather than weak reception. Which points to an AMP fault rather than the DAB playing up. FYI don't persist using the DAB although the £700 DAB module is actually good quality, FM is still the better option. And would have given the right steer on the original HIFi issues the car has

ABS fun
ABS sensors need replacing at 9 to 12 years like clock work on the W221
On another forum they were discussing a real ABS fault, that's quite perversely far less prevalent on a Mercedes than it should be... I'd just written this:

the fault this post describes is the exact fault you get on any brand of car if it has ESP...

first they tried the special corrode to time gunge on one of the link wires from the multiplug to the circuit board..... that lasted a bit too long and by the time they realised this, they had already moved on to the far more reliable die at 7 years trick that's so prevalent on a BMW... they just invented sticky brushes on the ESP pump motor...

its why whacking the pump motor works for a few months.... they deliberately make the brush guides too tight at the factory and after a few years of carbon dust they start too stick... the big fix is to replace the brush pack with a better quality ford part.
One thing though.

Although i dont have any sound through the phone, or sat nav, (the sat nav is actually working just no sound) why would the DAB not be picking up and reception or the FM any reception. The FM just shows the screen and im umable to choose any frequencies. If it was just the amp surly it would pick up freqencies and id just hahe no sound?

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
what you just descried is the EXACT symptoms of a dying amp (and they always start off failing intermittently) all sound anywhere stops
I didn't know on DAB you get extra graphics as if its a reception issue.

FM is the best.... no noise, normal screen and all menus choices work but not a single station displaying = always the AMP is dead/dying and the Sat Nav, Aux, TV etc. work perfectly but with no noise

the failure mode must be related to what's going wrong in the amp.... its just the way it is, don't need to understand why. I guess Mercedes made a huge mistake. As you can diagnose with the info above and replace plug and play.... so no need to pay £350 for diagnosis and coding a new part = major error by the engineering team.

barry jones

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016, LWB W222 AMG Line S-Class S350d - W415 Citan Van too :)
That does sound like an amp issue... had the same on my 2006 S Class... the same started to happen on my 2010 S Class too, but this time, instead of just shelling out £700+ for a replacement like I did the first time, I removed it, took it apart and gave it a damned good cleaning as it was full of a black, sooty deposit... that was 18 months before the car was written off last June (CAT S) and I sold the car. The car is back on the road and the amp is still going strong...

If you are ear Warrington again, I have a genuine MB STAR Compact 3 and with the 2006-2009 S Class, it doesn't rely on online coding like the facelift cars... If you're passing again, give me a shout

Baz

OP
D

Deadeye-Detailing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 CDI
That does sound like an amp issue... had the same on my 2006 S Class... the same started to happen on my 2010 S Class too, but this time, instead of just shelling out £700+ for a replacement like I did the first time, I removed it, took it apart and gave it a damned good cleaning as it was full of a black, sooty deposit... that was 18 months before the car was written off last June (CAT S) and I sold the car. The car is back on the road and the amp is still going strong...

If you are ear Warrington again, I have a genuine MB STAR Compact 3 and with the 2006-2009 S Class, it doesn't rely on online coding like the facelift cars... If you're passing again, give me a shout

Baz
Ive litrally just come from there! Been to pick up yet more parts!

OP
D

Deadeye-Detailing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 CDI

Baz
Barry could i wizz up myabe thursday as i didnt take the actual code. I said fiber optic open loop or somethong like that

barry jones

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016, LWB W222 AMG Line S-Class S350d - W415 Citan Van too :)
I am around for some of Thursday... I'll message you my phone number and we can sort something out

Regards

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom