Car back from bodyshop....And..

izzi613

Reaction score
Hi everyone absolutely love this forum

I discussed recently a minor accident that I had to the nearside front of my car. The bloke who runs the bodyshop is a friendly guy and as I was replacing a headlight decided to buy a facelift one and do the 'clear upgrade'.

He moaned blue murder about the new lamps not being genuine and being very fiddly to fit. I have since established that they absolutely are genuine and the moaning was to try and fool me in to thinking that the dodgy bumper fit to the nearside was as a result of 'non genuine' headlamps when in fact it is due to him having used the OLD filled and painted (badly) bumper and charging the insurers for a NEW one There will be HELL and BRIMSTONE monday morning. Watch this space...

I collected it on friday from the bodyshop and upon driving away noticed a slight whooshing sound (very faint) coming from below the steering column area, it went away every time my foot was pressed on the accelerator. It is very very annoying and I wondered what it could be. Tonight I took it for a spin and checked the manual headlight leveling (as I know they made thousands of adjustments to get the lamps to 'fit' the old refurbished bumper!) IT DOES NOT APPEAR TO WORK. Furthermore interestingly the noise is only apparent on number 1 when on number 3 the noise disappears!!!

Has he fu**ed up my headlamps? Any idea whats causing this? The beams look sh**e as evidently it is set on 3 and the motor is 'whooshing constantly to try and adjust them.

Please please guys help me and I'll love you all for eternity;)

Ta

D3Less

Reaction score
Bad news :mad: how did they think that they would get away with it?
They obviously don't have a leg to stand on but I hope that it does not cause you too much grief getting it sorted properly.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb0.asp?TP=1

The vacuam pipes have not been fitted to the lamps,hence the sound that you can hear,and why the leveler does not work. You can check the vacuam system out on the above site with your VIN.

Malcolm

OP
izzi613

izzi613

Reaction score
Good man Malcolm, I knew you'd have an idea. I'll check this out. Love you BTW;)

OP
izzi613

izzi613

Reaction score
Checked it out Malcolm, where would I find this part (doesn't show it in situ) and can I fix this myself?

Also are there meant to be vaccum pipes to the fogs or just vent pipes?

Thanks a bunch

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Checked it out Malcolm, where would I find this part (doesn't show it in situ) and can I fix this myself?

Also are there meant to be vaccum pipes to the fogs or just vent pipes?

Thanks a bunch

Fog lights are fixed always on all cars,MB that is. I have just looked on the link that I gave you and I see that the page is blank, first time I have seen that,it does not make a lot of difference that fact is that the pipes are on wrong or disconnected.

Malcolm

OP
izzi613

izzi613

Reaction score
Fog lights are fixed always on all cars,MB that is. I have just looked on the link that I gave you and I see that the page is blank, first time I have seen that,it does not make a lot of difference that fact is that the pipes are on wrong or disconnected.

Malcolm

OK it's just that I noticed they had vent pipes that's all.

Is this something I could do myself Malcolm or will the headlamps need to be removed?

Cheers

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK it's just that I noticed they had vent pipes that's all.

Is this something I could do myself Malcolm or will the headlamps need to be removed?

Cheers

I will have a look on my other data base, your car vin please,first 6 numbers

malcolm

OP
izzi613

izzi613

Reaction score
Malcolm

Sorted! Reconnected the vacuum hose (purple) to the back of the lamp, was a very tight squeeze with it being the left lamp by the washer fluid filler but now connected and working. Monkeys at the bodyshop had forgotten obviously...

As always you're a true star:razz:

MAny thanks again.

Top Bottom