Car cover - car alarm ?

Horner

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL 500 (2009)
I bought a car cover for my CL 500 from the Car Cover booth at the NEC in November. I didn't use it to cover the car until mid Jan (this year). No issues for the first few days and then the car alarm began to go off at random times. I'm not sure if fitting the car cover is related or just coincidence. Currently the only way I ( and my neighbours) can get an uninterrupted nights sleep is for me to 'unlock' the car on the fob, which is fine temporarily when the car is covered. Can anyone offer any insight as to what the problem may be ? The cover is snug and fits well, its not flapping around anywhere that may trigger the alarm in the wind, and no, there are no cats that are sleeping or jumping on it.

Pullman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1981 500SL_1999 500SL_(2002 CL600 sold) 2003 500SL
I have 2002 CL. Purchased a cheap car cover from Halfords. I used it last winter which was very windy on occasion. Eventually it was so bad that it got ripped where the straps connected. ( has been repaired now ). The alarm only went off twice and once I had to leave it unlocked. The CL is parked on a drive between our houses and sometime it's like a wind tunnel. I bought some nylon eyelet fittings (eBay) and used luggage bungy straps to keep the cover very taught. Hasn't happened this year so far. Found that the original straps had chaffed the paintwork so when I fitted the eyelets they aligned with the wheel arches. Also fitted one in the middle at the front and at the rear.

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
I bought a car cover for my CL 500 from the Car Cover booth at the NEC in November. I didn't use it to cover the car until mid Jan (this year). No issues for the first few days and then the car alarm began to go off at random times. I'm not sure if fitting the car cover is related or just coincidence. Currently the only way I ( and my neighbours) can get an uninterrupted nights sleep is for me to 'unlock' the car on the fob, which is fine temporarily when the car is covered. Can anyone offer any insight as to what the problem may be ? The cover is snug and fits well, its not flapping around anywhere that may trigger the alarm in the wind, and no, there are no cats that are sleeping or jumping on it.

Make sure the air vents are all closed inside the car and nothings hanging from the mirror (air fresheners etc).

If that's not the problem place some electrical tape over the sensors
in the roof module to eliminate the interior being triggered by air movement,
I cant remember if there's a on/off switch for the ultrasonic sensors on the CL 2009.

Last edited:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Turn off the interior motion sensor before locking the car. It will lost likely be the air movement causing the alarm to trigger

Top Bottom