Car Hire.

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
Hired a car for a couple of days, while my C207 is having the Oil Cooler seals done.
20230105_094033.jpg
Now don't get me wrong, it's a perfectly acceptable car, drives ok, it's got everything you'll probably ever need in a car and gets me from A to B, BUT god it's boring, definitely couldn't live with it. Can't wait to get my C207 back, even though it's cost me quite a bit of money this last 12 months, I still love it. :)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hired a car for a couple of days, while my C207 is having the Oil Cooler seals done.
View attachment 81395
Now don't get me wrong, it's a perfectly acceptable car, drives ok, it's got everything you'll probably ever need in a car and gets me from A to B, BUT god it's boring, definitely couldn't live with it. Can't wait to get my C207 back, even though it's cost me quite a bit of money this last 12 months, I still love it. :)
That's the thing with Mercedes, they're a really nice place to spend your time and give you a great feeling. I'm commuting at ~06:30 on the very dark and wet roads of Yorkshire including the M1 and I get out and I've really enjoyed the drive.

There's no bad cars now (Not like the 70's and 80's) but most have no engagement whatsoever, you've no connection to the vehicle - it's just a means of getting from A to B - life is way way way too short to drive boring vehicles

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
I had a Renault 16TS & TX in the 70’s which I really liked. In the 80’s I had a Audi GT Coupe & a Golf GTI 16V, both cars I really liked.

OP
SmartAmg

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That's the thing with Mercedes, they're a really nice place to spend your time and give you a great feeling. I'm commuting at ~06:30 on the very dark and wet roads of Yorkshire including the M1 and I get out and I've really enjoyed the drive.

There's no bad cars now (Not like the 70's and 80's) but most have no engagement whatsoever, you've no connection to the vehicle - it's just a means of getting from A to B - life is way way way too short to drive boring vehicles
Totally agree, Russ. :)

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
View attachment 81395
I am afraid with my current situation I just can’t justify the MB size bills for it to stand in the courtyard below for days on end, sometimes a couple of weeks, without me using the car or going anywhere near it. VW bills are a third of the size and therefore far easier to digest :)

OP
SmartAmg

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I am afraid with my current situation I just can’t justify the MB size bills for it to stand in the courtyard below for days on end, sometimes a couple of weeks, without me using the car or going anywhere near it. VW bills are a third of the size and therefore far easier to digest :)
In your situation, I agree, and anyway, yours is a Polo GTI which is a very good motor, and an Automatic, which is something I forgot to mention in my 1st post, definitely couldn't live with a manual gearbox again. :)

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
View attachment 81395
What is it? o_O A posh Nissan???

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
Stop it you lot!!
I miss my Shooting Brake every day although I have to say I like the boosted bank balance. ;)
No E500s or 55s coming up on the classifieds here either to tempt me and I really don't want to buy anything that's not had the care that this forums membership lavishes.
So, for the time being, I'll be another anonymous driver in my anonymous but perfectly capable car! :rolleyes:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
What is it? o_O A posh Nissan???
Vauxhall Corsa...

That's one of the problems with modern carp, you can hardly tell one Stupid Utility Vehicle Crossover from the next...:(

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Vauxhall Corsa...

That's one of the problems with modern carp, you can hardly tell one Stupid Utility Vehicle Crossover from the next...:(
Seems you're right .... a Vauxhall is the last thing I'd have thought of. And I used to like my big Vauxhalls ...

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
A lot to gain from decent classic. Most, all going up in value, cheap to insure, no Rd tax or mot if you go back a while, if its good after 40,50 Yr it's prob good for a lot more. Other road users likely give you some space, less road rage
Easy to fix. OK not 50 to a gall, but nor was my Vdoz. Mb ml250 a nice place to be..... While one waits for the inevitable eml or 500 mile no start warning. Or a wheel speed sensor that turns car into brick and likely recovery costs. Unless ur leasing or welll heeled modern cars are a dtf nightmare.
I prob goin Italy in march if break in weather, I will take classic or custom cruiser, far more relaxing and a good chance to solve prospective dramas without recovery and mb bills sorry but for me mb no longer inspire confidence of quality or reliability.

Last edited:

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
Vauxhall Corsa...

I was wondering what it was too, not my cup of tea either. I know our current MB is only the entry level one and leaves many things to be desired, like pre entry climate control and a whole other shed load of things I would like, but I still like the look of it. Honestly if I had that Corsa and went shopping I'd be lost trying to find it as most car parks just seem to be sea of grey lookalike cars :rolleyes:

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Corsa ought to be cheap enough to run

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Corsa ought to be cheap enough to run
"Ought" being the operative word... I found my E320CDI cheaper to maintain (at MB dealership) than my Vauxhall Vectra had been at the Vauxhall dealer...o_O

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
"Ought" being the operative word... I found my E320CDI cheaper to maintain (at MB dealership) than my Vauxhall Vectra had been at the Vauxhall dealer...o_O
Wow...

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
Exactly! The service contract for my Audi Q2 is £10.50/month...the W205, C220 was £31.20. We'll find out in April what extras, if any, they try on.

Ernie

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Exactly! The service contract for my Audi Q2 is £10.50/month...the W205, C220 was £31.20. We'll find out in April what extras, if any, they try on.

Ernie
It's not that I can't afford it Ernie, I just can't justify the high cost's. Since we moved into our Apartment in Norwich everything is within walking distance unless we go to our Daughter's which is 3 miles away or our Granddaughter's which is 9 miles away. :)

Our W205 was starting to have issues such as a Nox sensor going down, an envy stripe down two panels to deal with, new set of tyres through age not wear and a service coming up in the spring. So that lot will probably come out at around £4,000ish just to sit in the courtyard below. On top of that we probably won't do a thousand miles this year or for the foreseeable future, so it had to go :(

I am really enjoying the grunt of the VW GTi which my wife doesn't seem to be so keen on :D

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom