Car not locking / starting

Alex77

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB A CLASS AMG 200 (2013)
Hi folks

I'm having difficulties with my A CLASS AMG 200 (2013). It is not responding to my key fob when I try to open / lock the car... Also when I put fob into ignition to start the car nothing happens.

The red light on the key fob is flashing and I have replaced the batteries but this didn't fix anything.

The radio works as do the lights etc so I don't think it's the car battery?

Any suggestions?

Many thanks

OP
A

Alex77

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Battery is run down .Check it with a volt meter View attachment 64596

Thanks.. Don't have access to a volt meter...does it have to be a certain type?

I've also read that the IR fuse might be the issue... Though I can't seem to locate the fuse box in the car

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Thanks.. Don't have access to a volt meter...does it have to be a certain type?

I've also read that the IR fuse might be the issue... Though I can't seem to locate the fuse box in the car
I would say that a voltmeter is an absolutely essential when owning an MB! Can be had for £10, even on eBay. As Dreamer says above, battery voltage is probably the very first thing to check when faults like this appear.

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
Search YOU TUBE for .----> > Fusebox Location and Diagrams : Mercedes Benz A - Class -2013 -2018 Or Google - > Auto-Genius <

OP
A

Alex77

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There is voltage in the car battery yet absolutely nothing from turning the key in ignition. The radio and lights etc still work

I drove the car every day this week yesterday and when I stopped and parked it wouldn't lock and when I tried again last evening the car wouldn't even start... So I'm almost sure it is not battery related.

I have a spare key which I don't have access to currently but I will try this incase the current key fob isn't working (despite the red light flashing when any button is pressed)

I located the fuse boxes but not sure which one to check

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
Alex get in your car and switch on to start and keep waggling the selector lever through the gear positions . There is a swich in the selector lever ,, thats there to stop you or anyone trying to start in anything but P or N it can give problems like your having .

OP
A

Alex77

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There is voltage in the car battery yet absolutely nothing from turning the key in ignition. The radio and lights etc still work

I drove the car every day this week yesterday and when I stopped and parked it wouldn't lock and when I tried again last evening the car wouldn't even start... So I'm almost sure it is not battery related.

I have a spare key which I don't have access to currently but I will try this incase the current key fob isn't working (despite the red light flashing when any button is pressed)

I located the fuse boxes but not sure which one to check
Check all the fuses.There is a main fuse link i will check and find just where it is .If i can that is .

There are too many to check them all without something going wrong!!

My spare key is in a different country currently so that's not ideal

OP
A

Alex77

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Alex get in your car and switch on to start and keep waggling the selector lever through the gear positions . There is a swich in the selector lever ,, thats there to stop you or anyone trying to start in anything but P or N it can give problems like your having .

I gave this a go this evening but still absolutely zero.. Not even a hint of anything..it feels as if its the wrong key.

I did notice the time on the clock on the dash was wrong.. I'm not sure if this indicates anything?

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
I gave this a go this evening but still absolutely zero.. Not even a hint of anything..it feels as if its the wrong key.

I did notice the time on the clock on the dash was wrong.. I'm not sure if this indicates anything?
Wrong clock time is another indication of low voltage. If you haven't got a meter (Aldi) then put it on charge. If you haven't got a charger then Aldi again.

OP
A

Alex77

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Will get myself to Aldi tomorrow to see if they have one.

If it is the battery I'm unsure why I was able to drive it yesterday no problem but then as soon as I parked I couldn't lock it or get it started later on.

OP
A

Alex77

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I am based in Ireland.. Will try Aldi and then Halfords failing that.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
I am based in Ireland.. Will try Aldi and then Halfords failing that.
Aldi do a charger/conditioner depending on the deal for about £20, its always worth having one.
Once you have established you have a fully charged battery, then if the fault is still there its going to be easier to find.

OP
A

Alex77

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Tried moving the steering wheel and gear stick but to no avail.

Got that multireader this morning and it gave a reading of 12.28... So according to the image posted earlier in this thread then it doesn't appear to be a battery issue.

I am getting the spare key posted first class tomorrow so shall see if that works.

If it doesn't work then what are my options? Potential fuse issue? Can't think of anything else but I don't know an awful lot about the inner workings of a car

OP
A

Alex77

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Spare key did the trick!!! Now to repair / replace the original

Thanks to those who contributed on this thread.. Glad it wasn't anything too serious in the end and now proud owner of a multi meter... Going to be testing everything now ha

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
After changing the batteries in the old key, did you sync the key to the car ??

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom