car service&warranty

merc7

Reaction score
Some advice required !!!. My car two years old and needs (B) service . ie oil change,oil filter,air filter& brake system fluid renewed.
I know i need the genuine parts from MB ie filters,but do i need to buy castrol slx 0-30w will any synthetic oil that spec will be ok for warranty similarly for the brake fluid it is dot 4,am i obliged to buy MB brand???
Any comments will be appreciated

carabind

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e class
hi, are you doing it youirself, or is an indie doing it? If the latter, they should know what will pass MB standards

OP
M

merc7

Reaction score
Hi carabind it is an indie he has serviced my cay& my wife cars in the past& various other friends( different make of cars),he is recommending different brands much cheaper but same spec,i only have to obtain the filter elements from MB,my question will it be still ok for the warranty to be valid??from MB,i know i will lose mobilo but i am not too fussed about it

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Hi carabind it is an indie he has serviced my cay& my wife cars in the past& various other friends( different make of cars),he is recommending different brands much cheaper but same spec,i only have to obtain the filter elements from MB,my question will it be still ok for the warranty to be valid??from MB,i know i will lose mobilo but i am not too fussed about it

That will be fine. It is the specification of the oil which is important. The oil must reach the specification in order to be marketed as such. Beyond that, the manufacturer is a matter of choice and each of us has their own views as to whether the "premium" manufacturers are worth any extra they may charge.

Having said that, the price of the same oil varies greatly depending on where you source it. So the correct spec from, for example Costco, might be vastly less expensive than a premium brand provided by a dealership, but both will do the job and both will ensure servicing "in accordance with the manufacturer's (MB) specification".

johno2004

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK32 AMG
Re Warranty

Hi,

On my SLK I have two more years Mercedes Benz Mechanical Breakdown Insurance Tier 1 and in the Hand book that they provide with the what is and whats not covered, it states the car must be serviced by a approved mercedes dealer. Is this right ? as i have a very good Indie Star Mercedes at Rothley Leicester which only use MB parts and of course cheaper labour charges.

As the cover cost the previous owner near on £1700 and only cost me £20 to transfer to me i feel its worth having and using if nessesary if required and do not want to invalidate it by using Indie, Anyone else used Indie and sucessfully claimed on Warranty if required.

Sorry to but in on your thread but you have mentioned using Indie and warranty.

Thanks

OP
M

merc7

Reaction score
Do i have to use 0w-30 slx oil??? on c-180 k(203)???? my MB dealers using???

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Stick to 0W-30!

Its made for your engine!!

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Hi,

On my SLK I have two more years Mercedes Benz Mechanical Breakdown Insurance Tier 1 and in the Hand book that they provide with the what is and whats not covered, it states the car must be serviced by a approved mercedes dealer. Is this right ? as i have a very good Indie Star Mercedes at Rothley Leicester which only use MB parts and of course cheaper labour charges.

As the cover cost the previous owner near on £1700 and only cost me £20 to transfer to me i feel its worth having and using if nessesary if required and do not want to invalidate it by using Indie, Anyone else used Indie and sucessfully claimed on Warranty if required.

Sorry to but in on your thread but you have mentioned using Indie and warranty.

Thanks

Stick with the dealer.
EU regs mean that they can't force you to use a dealer to retain the manufacturers' warranty (3 years from new).
However, there are no such rules about after market warranties. If the paperwork says "MB approved" then an indie service, however good, WILL invalidate it.

True romance

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
slk280 (2008 face lift)
Stick with the dealer.
EU regs mean that they can't force you to use a dealer to retain the manufacturers' warranty (3 years from new).
However, there are no such rules about after market warranties. If the paperwork says "MB approved" then an indie service, however good, WILL invalidate it.

so if you buy a new MB car, you can then have it serviced at an indie for the first 3 years without lossing you MB warranty???

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
so if you buy a new MB car, you can then have it serviced at an indie for the first 3 years without lossing you MB warranty???

In a word. Yes.
Look up "EU Block exemption"
Provided the car is serviced in accordance with manufacturers specs then irrespective of who does it, the warranty stands.
E.g. My car was serviced at an indie at 18 months. At 24 months I had several things done at the dealer under warranty. No quibble, no argument, they just fixed it. They have to, its the law.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom