Catalytic Converter theft epidemic.

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
Toyota Prius seems to be the favorite but ]Toyota Auris, Honda Jazz, Lexus RX or any hybrid are at risk..

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Is this still going on? Was happening years ago!

bob 6600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
Still going on a numbers have gone up, or at least I'm seeing more and more posts on social media about them. The people buying them are just as guilty as the ones stealing them

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Scum bags. Rhodium prices are sky high at the moment..
Towards the end of the video you see a lady come out of the house.
I can imagine those scum just driving round all day just chopping away.

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
No still seems rife! My colleagues Lexus RX has been done twice in 8 months down near Nunhead in that place they call London …..

OP
Taffy7hfa

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
2 minutes 7 seconds to make 300 quid, and they don't even have to do it in the middle of the night.

Mr Greedy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350/2011/OM642 265bhp
We had one done locally a few hundred metres down the road at the back end of the week. A subsequent quick check on eBay suggests 2014 onwards Toyota Pariah's cat system is £500-800 second hand, with most in the £600-750 range.
If you can shift them, even better than £300 must easily be possible.

If you also search on eBay for the Pariah's cat, the biggest result of items is now a huge market in thick, anti-theft steel plates that you can bolt on to the bottom of the car.

Utter scum doing this. I'm assuming that because the cars are on a driveway (gravel at that, so hard to jack) and we don't have any hybrids that we will be sufficiently lower down the attractiveness rankings that scum wouldn't bother with our cars.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I have no time for these scum and unfortunately neither do the police.

If I saw one ripping a cat out I'd be tempted to phone the police and mention it looks like they're waving a sawn off shotgun about. That usually gets done reaction....

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have no time for these scum and unfortunately neither do the police.

If I saw one ripping a cat out I'd be tempted to phone the police and mention it looks like they're waving a sawn off shotgun about. That usually gets done reaction....

+1

I actually keep a couple of swords. Fight fire with an inferno!

There's no way I'm going to politely ask an armed scumbag, who is happy to injure/kill me or, my family to take a hike. These types do not have an ounce of reason or decency in them.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
+1

I actually keep a couple of swords. Fight fire with an inferno!

There's no way I'm going to politely ask an armed scumbag, who is happy to injure/kill me or, my family to take a hike. These types do not have an ounce of reason or decency in them.
First step for me would be call police. If the scum then started onto my property I'd be getting my airguns out and suggesting they move in.
One of the airguns runs a high pressure cylinder good for in excess of 100 shots and uses a 10 shot magazine that takes under a second to cycle (and I have 4 mags). At full legal power it's powerful enough to easily penetrate flesh and potentially lethal if the right(wrong) spot is hit. I'd only use it as a last resort but it's there.

I did hear of an incident recently where someone saw these scum stealing a cat and one of them came across, put a baseball bat through all the windows of their car and attacked the panels with a battery angle grinder with a cutting disc.

That would be when the rifles would come out.
I also have two CO2 pellet firing replica pistols that are almost indistinguishable from the real thing. One is very recognisably a luger. The other a Sig P226 which is US Navy issue. It would be a brave man would stick around to see if either were real or not....

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
First step for me would be call police. If the scum then started onto my property I'd be getting my airguns out and suggesting they move in.
One of the airguns runs a high pressure cylinder good for in excess of 100 shots and uses a 10 shot magazine that takes under a second to cycle (and I have 4 mags). At full legal power it's powerful enough to easily penetrate flesh and potentially lethal if the right(wrong) spot is hit. I'd only use it as a last resort but it's there.

I did hear of an incident recently where someone saw these scum stealing a cat and one of them came across, put a baseball bat through all the windows of their car and attacked the panels with a battery angle grinder with a cutting disc.

That would be when the rifles would come out.
I also have two CO2 pellet firing replica pistols that are almost indistinguishable from the real thing. One is very recognisably a luger. The other a Sig P226 which is US Navy issue. It would be a brave man would stick around to see if either were real or not....
Thats all well and good and an Englishmans home is his castle and all that. The issue preventing ppl taking that action (which I in principle is great) that if such thiefs do get caught they will likely get a slap on wrist and re-offend, so they may come back, smash your car up and damage your property.

Reactions: DSK

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I would hope the threat of harm might make them look elsewhere.

Reactions: DSK

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
IMO, the only best place to call the Police is if you live in one those special areas where's they are likely to do anything other than sigh. (well what can they do when the government keeps cutting them back!).

When I was house sitting at my uncles in a gated residence in Windsor, neighbours advised they'd seen some unusual activity the previous day where a few cars randomly stopped outside the driveway, sat and waited just looking at the driveway and driving/back forth slowly past the cars. This made me uneasy as the front door was basic and I have no weapons. Interesting that night an Audi A6 pulled up to the house seemed very disgruntled by me staring at it. It went back/forth a few times and I called the Police, who within literally 2 minutes had 8 units on site, from Astra's to armed X5's. Sadly the Audi took off like a bat out of hell on hearing the siren approaching in the distance. This would not have been the case where I live!

I get the fact that we are reserved due to revenge/retaliation but, I personally think sometimes having to stick up for yourself is no bad thing and usually, these people are not so tough/hard as they like to think but, would be the sort who come back with their 'crew'.

Its sad we live in such times where its actually a burden to own something nice or expensive.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
IMO, the only best place to call the Police is if you live in one those special areas where's they are likely to do anything other than sigh. (well what can they do when the government keeps cutting them back!).

When I was house sitting at my uncles in a gated residence in Windsor, neighbours advised they'd seen some unusual activity the previous day where a few cars randomly stopped outside the driveway, sat and waited just looking at the driveway and driving/back forth slowly past the cars. This made me uneasy as the front door was basic and I have no weapons. Interesting that night an Audi A6 pulled up to the house seemed very disgruntled by me staring at it. It went back/forth a few times and I called the Police, who within literally 2 minutes had 8 units on site, from Astra's to armed X5's. Sadly the Audi took off like a bat out of hell on hearing the siren approaching in the distance. This would not have been the case where I live!
This is why mention of suspected firearms can have an effect.... The police tend to get a bit excited when they're in the picture. It's very difficult to tell the difference between a baseball bat and a sawn off shotgun in poor light ;).

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
dam shame the number plate is legible on that security footage

still in todays world if the police actually bother to go see them they'll probably just give a list of spares they'd like them to get

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
I rang the place one morning about 05:00 to say a hoodie was driving a stolen scooby up and down the road...… got told off

"how do you know its stolen !"

I said, well he's been smoking it up and down the road doing about 80 in a 30 zone twice and was getting faster and faster until I heard him smash it in to a parked car and as he's now driving past my house on 3 wheels I don't think its his pride and joy.

As its doesn't seem to want to go over 20mph and he's leaving inch deep scores down the road, I think you'll be able to find him... they never bothered

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thing is most of these clowns will be running on fake/cloned plates to commit their crimes so the real chances of catching them is next to none.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thing is most of these clowns will be running on fake/cloned plates to commit their crimes so the real chances of catching them is next to none.

Sadly highly likely. They are thieving scum bags after all so why would they have correct plates. Even when you watch the video it seems no coincidence their faces are covered and the are constantly looking down to hide their faces.
The only way they are caught will be red handed in the act.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom