Causing severe hairloss

Kolobrie

Reaction score
Hi all,
Thread title refers to the amount of hair pulling this latest problem is causing....
Car is a 2001 210 (E280). About 2 weeks ago the ignition lock failed to initialize, both the keys were just producing a clicking noise and nothing else. Everything pointed to a failed EIS. Anyway, I took the car out of park and had it towed to the stealership. They put it on their diagnostics but couldn't get any readings because the ignition wasn't on (Doh!). However after a few vague phone calls they ordered and fitted a new switch. They are now saying that the keys are now talking to the switch but now the steering lock has failed! What are the chances of that?!?
I asked if they had programmed the new switch with the gearlever in the park position and he didn't know. My question is does anyone know if this would make a difference as you can't release the key unless in park.
please help as hairline receding fast
(note- it's one of the IR type key system)

OP
K

Kolobrie

Reaction score
update

Just a quick update regarding question posted above. Have now got car back all sorted. Will probably never know if stealership destroyed steering lock when fitting new EIS, just have to grin and bear it (plus pay out an arm, two legs and a kidney). Ah well, happy motoring.......
PS if anyone wants to know how to release the gearlever from P to N without the key being in can PM me.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Thanks for the update,,they get the steering lock wrong many times when doing the switch

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom