CDi 270 Saloon 53/04 Plate

mbnewbie

Reaction score
E-Class CDi 270 Saloon 53/04 Plate

Hello to everyone,

After many years of driving BMWs I've decided it's time for change and have decided on a E-Class CDi 270 Saloon on a 53 or 04 plate. However, having read some of the posts here and in other forums I'm not sure if I'm making the right decision.

Any feedback on the 270 CDi automatic would be very much appreciated :grin:

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
OP
M

mbnewbie

Reaction score
I will reply to my own post ;-) The more I read about the E Class, the more I'm inclined to stick with BMW. Seems like a great car to look at but a POS to own

cra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1994 W124 E280 saloon
I own a 1995 W124 saloon,which I bought at 18 months old from a certain dealer in Cheltenham (one of the dealers who had their franchise removed a few years ago during the great MB dealer re-organisation - can't imagine why!)

I subsequently bought a new SLK. Then MB introduced MobiloLife - Despite spending 60K with them and missing the introduction of MobiloLife by a matter of months, they point blank refused to do anything. I have never bought a MB product since, nor will I ever.

I always tell people that if you are happy with the brand you currently own (in terms of actual vehicle and dealer experience) then why change?

Cra

louisjames

Reaction score
iv had 5 series, 7 series 3 series all sorts of bm's for years, ive had a few mercs but am more dedicated to bmw. they are both as good as eachother imho but depends what you are looking for out of your car. i think the bmws have slightly more character, and more of a drivers car but also that you get what you pay for with the mercs. which i feel are better in build and residuals.

ive always been impressed with all my mercs and bmws just that they both do things the other cant, it certain ways.

Last edited:

OlafMaxwell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320 CDI Estate
Well, the quality of the W210 is not good, build quality is not great but I could live with that if it were not for the appalling cowboys they call dealers. I have never met a BMW owner with the type of problems I encountered. The Merc service is diabolical, complain to Merc about it and they do absolutely nothing about because their warranty manager is 'unable to telephone a dealer'. If you are happywith BMW stick with it. A lot of new model used Mercs are actually lemons that owners have got rid of because of probems.

Sanny

Reaction score
E270 CDi

Sir,
You seem like a nice reasonable guy to me, so as the owner of a 54 (2003) E270 CDI Avantgarde Estate, and a long time MB owner, I would say DO NOT touch these cars with a bargepole!

Mine has spent around 30 days in MB service departments since I bought the car new in Sept 2003. The list of problems is endless, Comand failures, Worn suspension bushes (after 6 months), and most recently the car was returned to the supplying dealer, who tells me that it almost certainly needs a new gearbox. All these problems have been fixed under warranty, however the local dealer is so poor, I wouldn't buy water from them in drought conditions.

My family has spent around £250,000 with MB in the past 2 years and after 30 years of solid MB support, we will never buy another vehcile from MB. This is due to shoddy build quality allied to a level of dealer service which is too poor to even attempt to describe.

Every time I have to take the car back to the local dealer, they tell me there is nothing wrong with it, I arrange for a second opinion at the supplying dealer who finds a fault within 30 seconds of driving the car. This has now happened on 3 separate cars in the past 6 months.

The only thing which stops me from trying to purchase an AK47 and trying to wipe out the local dealer staff, plus everyone who has the cheek to say they work in Customer Service in Milton Keynes, is that the supplying dealer in Edinburgh (I live in London) has bent over backwards to try to help.

In short, if you live near Edinburgh and don't mind paying £40K+ for a car that spends 1 month in every year in the service department, then buy one. If you want to preserve your sanity - DONT!

OlafMaxwell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320 CDI Estate
Well said..

Last year my month off the road was clocked up by end March...this year it will be clocked up next weekend!!!

I am back driving my 10 year old Peugeot 405 and now realise I have more confidence in that than in the Merc!!

MSG2004

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB C Class 180k Se Auto Avtg Saloon.
mbnewbie said:
I will reply to my own post ;-) The more I read about the E Class, the more I'm inclined to stick with BMW. Seems like a great car to look at but a POS to own

Stick with the BM or go for the latest reg and ensure it is a recent build as the models more than several months old have many minor problems, along with the big ones.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom