CDI Pump seals replaced, now engine cuts under full throttle

Highmileage

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
270CLK 2003 249970 miles
As per the title, my 270CLK had been leaking diesel from the CDI pump, and finally wouldn't start at all. I removed the pump, stripped it and renewed all the seals using an OEM kit. The car then started well, although I notice that sometimes it runs rough for a second or two, and also takes a while to crank up (very random). The main problem however is that if I demand full power, especially up a steep hill, or pulling out smartly from a junction, it cuts out instantly; not a safe situation! Once I've turned the ignition off, selected park, it starts instantly. I'm assuming it's something to do with the resealed pump producing more pressure than before? Any ideas please, it's driving me nuts!?

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
What codes do you have?

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
Long start still indicates you have a leak somewhere. Instant start after cut out is happening because lines are already full of fuel and/or engine/injectors are warm. Either you hp pump can't get enough fuel from aux pump, it is so worn that it cannot deliver full flow under higher pressure, or it cannot deliver full flow beacuse of leaks in system. HP pump inner leaks are difficult to dig up, but injector leaks are easy to measure.

OP
H

Highmileage

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
270CLK 2003 249970 miles
Long start still indicates you have a leak somewhere. Instant start after cut out is happening because lines are already full of fuel and/or engine/injectors are warm. Either you hp pump can't get enough fuel from aux pump, it is so worn that it cannot deliver full flow under higher pressure, or it cannot deliver full flow beacuse of leaks in system. HP pump inner leaks are difficult to dig up, but injector leaks are easy to measure.
Thanks for this, likewise it's -1C here with a strong wind so it'll have to wait. The car is running well enough until it's not quite arctic!

OP
H

Highmileage

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
270CLK 2003 249970 miles
Been out in the car today. Worked fine, started first turn of the key through several stop/starts and ran fine.... Do you think it might have somehow bled itself or similar?

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom